Passes & Permits

  • Recreation Passes

    Interagency recreation passes include the Annual Pass, Every Kid in a Park 4th grade program, Interagency Military Passes, Senior Passes for persons over 62, and Access Passes for persons with permanent disabilities.

  • Special Use Permits

    Special events or commercial use of public lands require a permit. This includes commercial activities such as filming or guiding, and non-commercial uses such as organized events or gatherings, and recreation residences.

  • Forest Products

    Special forest products are non-timber goods that can be found in the forest such as mushroom, beargrass leaves, fern greens, pine cones, evergreen boughs and huckleberries.

  • Firewood Permits

    The Flathead National Forest offers Firewood Collecting Permits to the public. Firewood permits will remain free through December 31, 2022. Contact your local Ranger Station to obtain a required permit.

  • Christmas Tree Permits

    Cutting the family Christmas tree is timeless tradition. You can now get your tree permits online between mid-October to the end of December at

  • Mushroom Picking

    The Flathead National Forest currently offers personal use free permits for mushroom harvesting. No commercial harvest permits are available. Visit our Forest Products Page for more information.