Recreation Passes & Permits

[Photograph]: Person riding horseback though a meadow.Federal Recreation Fees Support Our National Heritage

Entrance and use fees for federal lands are not only used for conserving our nation's land, wildlife, waterways and historical sites, but are used to develop, maintain and improve visitor services and recreation opportunities.

America the Beautiful The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Information (Interagency Passes)

National Passes

There are several pass options to consider. To make the best choice on which pass to purchase, you should think about your recreation plans for the next year. National passes cover entrance fees found a federal recreation areas such as National Parks and wildlife refuges. They also cover the use of facilities and services at many day use sites on Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands.

If you plan to recreate in many different spots across the nation, an Interagency Annual Pass may be your best value. You may also qualify for one of the Interagency Lifetime Passes or Interagency Access Pass.

Interagency Passes are honored at Forest Service sites charging fees for use of many developed day use recreation sites; which may include picnic sites, low developed boat ramps, and trailheads. Interagency Passes may also provide discounts for camping at Forest Service operated campgrounds. For more information, see our "Frequently Asked Questions."

Click the passes below to see the costs, benefits, and guidelines to determine which pass is the right one for you.  By clicking on the images below you will be taken to the U.S. Forest Service National Website where more specific information is available.

Image of the America the Beautiful Annual Pass Image of the America the Beautiful Annual Military PassImage of America the Beautiful Senior Pass Image of the America the Beautiful Access Pass

Are Golden Passports and National Parks Passes still valid? If you still have a Golden Passport or National Parks Pass they may still be valid. (more information)

Permit Information

As managers of the National Forest, we welcome the opportunity to provide permits for public use. Available permits: firewood, Christmas trees, ornamentals, wilderness & special use authorization. To find out about which permits are available for the area you are considering please contact the appropriate Ranger District office. Please become familiar with the terms of your permit to help make both your time in the Forest and our job more enjoyable!

Wilderness Permits

  • Hoover Wilderness Area permit with instructions are available. Bear canisters are REQUIRED in the Hoover as of April 2012. Call the district for more details, 760-932-7070.

Sno-Park Passes

The Carson Ranger District is selling California Sno-Park Passes for the 2011-2012 winter season. Season passes are $25.00 and day passes are $5.00. Click here to find out more information regarding Sno-Park Passes.