Forest Products Permits

Berries and other plant materials

Huckleberries and morel mushrooms are prized wild foods on the IPNF. There is no fee required for recreational picking of berries,  or collecting other plant material like beargrass, but some areas may have special restrictions in place.  There may be limits on the amount that you collect.  It is always best to check with the local Ranger District or Supervisor's Office before gathering or collecting items from the Forest.

Commercial gathering of huckleberries and commercial harvesting of mushrooms is NOT permitted on the Idaho Panhandle National Forests. 

Mushroom Harvesting

The Idaho Panhandle National Forests is requiring mushroom harvesting permits in order to appropriately manage mushroom harvesting activites, monitor use, and protect resources. A personal use permit is only required for harvesters picking more than one gallon of mushrooms per day up to five gallons in a season. Mushrooms may be harvested anywhere in your National Forest unless otherwise restricted. Each Ranger District will have specific information on any area closures or restrictions. Permits will be available at Forest Service offices. Read more...

What type of permit do I need?

The type of permit you need depends if you intend to:

Harvest less than one gallon a day and no more than five gallons per season Harvest more than one gallon a day and up to 20 gallons or 50 pounds per season Sell Mushrooms

Permit Not Required.

This is considered "incidental" use.

 Personal Use (Free) Permit

Minors over the age of 12 are required to obtain a free use permit if they are gathering more than the “incidental” amounts.

Commercial Use Not Authorized

Reselling of harvested mushrooms is prohibited.










Minors (12 and under) may assist in the collection of the permitted product, but must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or sponsoring adult and have their permit in possession.

Resale of the mushrooms is prohibited. In order to distinguish personal or incidental use from commercial collecting, all mushrooms must be sliced in half length-wise from stem to cap before leaving the harvest area. 


To cut firewood for personal use on National Forest lands in Idaho, you must have a Personal Use Firewood Permit. At $5.00 per cord, you can purchase a permit for no less than four cords ($20) and no more than twelve ($60). A permit is good for gathering firewood from the time of purchase through March 31. You are only allowed to haul firewood up to 6 feet in length.  Anything longer must be approved in writing by the Forest Service. Permits are available at Forest Service offices.  Read more...

Christmas Trees

Christmas tree tags are $5 each.  A family may purchase up to three tags.  Christmas tree tags can be used to cut trees on National Forest lands in Idaho and Montana; and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands administered by the Coeur d'Alene District Office in northern Idaho; and by the Missoula, Butte and Dillon field offices in western Montana.  Read more...


No permit is required if your collecting will cause little or no surface disturbance (e.g., gold panning - dry wash or manual pan, or rockhounding).  More extensive operations will require permitting and/or operation plans.  Read more...