Passes & Permits

  • Recreation Passes & Permits

    America the Beautiful Passes

    Local passes and permits related to recreating on the forest include wilderness permits, annual day passes, CA SNO-PARK permits, and National Interagency Passes.

  • Campfire Permits

    Wood fire in metal fire ring.

    National Forest System lands in the Lake Tahoe Basin are under year-round fire restrictions. Wood and charcoal fires are only permitted within metal fire rings in developed campgrounds.

  • Wilderness Permits

    A child walks on a trail in the wilderness

    Desolation Wildernesses encompasses 63,960 acres of alpine forest, glacially-formed valleys and lakes. Travel is by foot or horseback as no vehicles are allowed. Wood or charcoal fires are not permitted.

  • Event or Commercial Special Use Permits

    Film crew in the forest.

    Certain types of uses of public lands require "Special Use Authorizations". These include commercial activities, such as filming, guiding, and events.

  • Forest Product Permits

    Stack of fire wood.

    Collecting and removing forest products requires a permit. Forest products include items such as, firewood, christmas trees, edible or decorative material, minerals and plants.

  • Weddings on National Forest Lands

    A couple poses for their wedding photo with Lake Tahoe in the background.

    An outdoor wedding ceremony may be held in certain places on National Forest System lands in the Lake Tahoe Basin under the operations of specified wedding service providers.

Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. In the Lake Tahoe Basin, the fee-free day applies to Eagle Falls Picnic Area and Trailhead. The 2024 dates are:


Season Passes for National Forest Beaches at Lake Tahoe

Season beach passes for National Forest beaches around Lake Tahoe are available for purchase in person at the following beaches and campgrounds: Baldwin Beach, Fallen Leaf Campground, Nevada Beach Campground, and Pope Beach. 

View Feature