Recreation Passes & Permits

While most of the forest provides opportunities for free recreation activities, some areas, facilities and activities have a fee associated with them to help maintain, manage and improve the amenities that you enjoy.  On this forest, fees are charged for camping at most of our  developed sites that provide tables, grills, lantern posts, toilets, garbage service, or other conveniences, day use areas that have some of these same features or services, and for use of the two motorized trail systems, (Chadwick and Sutton Bluff).  Visit the national Recreation Fees and Passes Web Site for information about where fees and passes exist and the variety of pass options available to you, or choose a specific pass option from the listing on the right.

In addition to national passes, the Mark Twain National Forest offers an annual day use pass that is valid in all of our developed recreation sites that charge a day use fee, (whether operated by concessionaires or the Forest Service).  These passes sell for $20 each, and are valid until the end of the calendar year in which they were purchased.    They are available at all of our offices, and also at concession operated sites. 

Daily or annual ATV, UTV, motorcycle, and mountain bike permits, required for riding on the Chadwick and Sutton Bluff  ATV, UTV, and Motorcycle Trails, can be purchased in person, through the mail, or remotely from the Ava Ranger District Office, the Salem Ranger District Office, or from the Forest Supervisor’s Office in Rolla.  Click here for more information about purchasing a permit.  Annual ATV, UTV, and Motorcycle permits sell for $45, mountain bike permits sell for $20.  Daily permits sell for $7 and $3.  Permits are also available through local vendors, but they may charge a slightly higher fee for those permits.  Vendors currently selling permits include:

  • Kay’s Country Store – Chadwick
  • Casey’s General Store – Sparta
  • Reynolds County Sheriff's 911 Office - Centerville