Passes & Permits

Passes and Permits

Rio Grande National Forest offers nearly endless free opportunities for your use and enjoyment. Fees are charged in some developed recreation areas and some activities require a permit with a fee.




  • Recreation Passes

    A placeholder image

    Interagency Recreation Passes can provide either free entrance or a discount for certain recreation fees.

  • Forest Products

    A placeholder image

    Find information on requirements for collecting Christmas trees, boughs, pine cones, medicinal plants, berries, mushrooms, transplants and more

  • Special Use Permits - Event/Commercial/Outfitter-Guide/Filming/Photography

    A placeholder image

    Permits are required for certain individual and commercial activities that occur on the forest or grassland. To obtain campground, outfitter guide, and other services from commercial companies who operate through Forest Service permits, please contact them directly.

  • Scientific Research Request

    A placeholder image

    Federal Regulations mandate that all commercial and non-commercial uses of Forest Lands be accounted for by special use permits. In many cases, research activities may occur without extensive review, but all research proposals require an assessment of whether the action is subject to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) or special use permit. View our frequently asked questions and additional details