Passes & Permits

Photo of Elk Lake.

Most National Forests and Grasslands are open, free of charge, for your use and enjoyment. Fees may be charged and permits required for some activities and locations. Business permittees, such as campground concessionaires and outfitter-guides, may provide services to public-land users.

Recreation Passes & Permits - Interagency Recreation Passes are available for fee discounts at campgrounds and day use areas.

Forest Products Permits - Forest Product permits including firewood, rocks and transplants are available.

Event/Commercial Permits - The Rocky Mountain Region receives hundreds, if not thousands, of requests for recreation event special use authorizations annually. Types of activities that require a recreation event special use permit include, but are not limited to, competitive races, contests, fund raisers, eco-challenges, dog trials, club activities, adventure games and endurance races. If you or your organization is considering holding such an event on the National Forest, you must contact your local Ranger District well in advance of the scheduled event to determine whether a permit is available.

Who needs a Recreation Special Use Permit?
A permit is required for any commercial activity defined as: any use or activity on National Forest System lands (a) where an entry or participation fee is charged, or (b) where the primary purpose is the sale of a good or service, and in either case, regardless of whether the use or activity is intended to produce a profit. Special use permits are issued at the local Ranger District office. Basic requirements for holding a permit include technical and financial capability, payment of a fee, and insurance listing the US Government as additionally insured.

Commercial Filming and Photography – Use of National Forest System land for commercial filming and still photography requires a special use authorization.