Passes & Permits

Pass Information

Buying an OHV permitInteragency passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service sites that charge standard entrance fees. Interagency Annual, Interagency Senior, Interagency Access, and Interagency Military passes allow the public to enter some fee areas without additional charge. This is convenient when traveling to several areas that charge an entrance fee. These passes may be obtained:

1) at the Francis Marion and Sumter National Forests Supervisor's Office or any district office, if you visit us in person. Only a limited number of Forest Service employees can sell passes to the public. Please call the office to make sure someone is available to sell you the pass.

2) by mail order through the USGS website. Please follow these links to order by mail :

Military passes must be obtained in person and are available at most federal recreation sites that charge standard entrance or amenity fees. Generally, sites that issue the Annual Pass will also issue the free US military version as well. A list of recreation sites (by state) that sell passes is available, but please first call the federal site you will be visiting to ensure that they have the pass available. 

Permit Information

Permits are required for:

  • Selling any merchandise;
  • Posting or distributing any handbill, circular, paper or notice;
  • Conducting or participating in a public meeting assembly or special event;
  • Groups of more than 75 people require a special-use permit to camp in either a campground or undesignated area.
  • Groups of any size camping in undesignated areas will need a visitor pass/permit. Contact the local district office.
  • Within the Chattooga River corridor, groups with more than 24 participants and/or commercial activities are prohibited without a Special Use Permit issued by the Forest Service.

Firewood and Miscellaneous Forest Products

Permits are available at all district offices for firewood and miscellaneous forest products

Recreational Passes and Permits

Recreational passes and Permits are required for some activities on the forest.

Chattooga River Boating

A free self-service permit is required for each boating group on the Chattooga Wild and Scenic River. These are obtained at self-service stands located at the river access points.