Passes & Permits

The Superior National Forest manages many resources with the objective of caring for the land and serving people. Management protects natural resource values, public health and safety and is consistent with the Forest land and resource management goals outlined in the Forest Plan. To meet these objectives, permits may be required for the occupancy and use of Forest Service land or resources. Additionally, passes assist in funding certain management projects or activities.


Permits are required for:

  • Use of roads not open to the general public for motorized use.
  • Use of roads/driveways across National Forest System lands to access private property.
  • Snowplowing Forest roads.

Permit Not Required

Permits are not required for collection of minor forest products such as flowers, plants, berries, acorns, nuts or small amounts of medicinal roots from areas other than designated recreation, research, natural or other areas closed to such activities.  However, such collections are limited to reasonable quantities for personal use; there can be no disturbance of surface resources and the products must not be protected by state or federal laws or regulations.

Reserving BWCAW Permits for a Non-Profit Organization

A non-profit organization (NPO) may reserve a limited number of permits under the organization's name, allowing any member of the organization to become the Group Leader at the time of permit pickup. A maximum of three reservations are allowed under the organization's name per season. An NPO using this option must be prepared to show evidence of legal non-profit status when picking up the permit.

General Information About USFS Special Use Permits

For general information about special uses on the National Forests across the country, visit