Passes & Permits

Boating at Cagle Recreation Area on the Sam Houston National ForestVarious passes and permits are available on the National Forests and Grasslands in Texas. The Forest Service provides many goods and services in a sustainable manner. Passes and permits help to provide those opportunities while protecting the natural resources.

Special Use Permits

Before a special use proposal is approved, the agency must determine that the proposed use complies with the Forest's land and resource management plan; that National Environmental Policy Act requirements are met; there is a demonstrated need for the activity on National Forest System lands; and the use is appropriate on National Forest System lands.

None of the existing special use authorities provide for permanent use of National Forest System lands.

Special use permits for firewood, road access, etc. may be obtained by contacting the appropriate Ranger District Office for more details and information about how to obtain a permit.

Recreation Permits and Passes 

There are a number of different types of recreation passes available. Information for obtaining recreation permits and passes may be found here.

Antlerless Deer Permits

For information on antlerless deer permits, contact TPWD at or 512-389-4505 or visit the Texas Parks and Wildlife Drawn Hunts page.