This page describes an out-of-date version of the publication.
Check out the current version of this publication!
Spatial wildfire occurrence data for the United States, 1992-2011 [FPA_FOD_20130422] (1st Edition)
Short, Karen C.
How to Cite:
These data were collected using funding from the U.S. Government and can be used without additional permissions or fees. If you use these data in a publication, presentation, or other research product please use the following citation:
Short, Karen C. 2013. Spatial wildfire occurrence data for the United States, 1992-2011 [FPA_FOD_20130422]. 1st Edition. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2013-0009
This data publication contains a spatial database of wildfires that occurred in the United States from 1992 to 2011, generated for the national Fire Program Analysis (FPA) system. The wildfire records were acquired from the reporting systems of federal, state, and local fire organizations. The following core data elements were required for records to be included in this data publication: discovery date, final fire size, and a point location at least as precise as Public Land Survey System (PLSS) section (1-square-mile grid). The data were transformed to conform, when possible, to the data standards of the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG). Basic error-checking was performed and redundant records were identified and removed, to the degree possible. The resulting product, referred to as the Fire Program Analysis fire-occurrence database (FPA FOD), includes nearly 1.6 million geo-referenced wildfire records, representing a total of 113 million acres burned during the 20-year period.
biota; geoscientificInformation; location; Fire; Fire detection; wildfire; Fire Program Analysis; United States
Visit count : 8404 0
- Short, K. C. 2014. A spatial database of wildfires in the United States, 1992-2011. Earth System Science Data. 6:1-27. https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-6-1-2014
- Short, Karen C. 2014. Spatial wildfire occurrence data for the United States, 1992-2012 [FPA_FOD_20140428]. Fort Collins, CO: USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2013-0009.2
- Short, Karen C. 2015. Spatial wildfire occurrence data for the United States, 1992-2013 [FPA_FOD_20150523]. Fort Collins, CO: USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2013-0009.3
- Short, Karen C. 2017. Spatial wildfire occurrence data for the United States, 1992-2015 [FPA_FOD_20170508]. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2013-0009.4
Download count: 811
- View metadata (HTML)
- View file index (HTML), which lists all files in this data publication and short description of their contents
- Download data publication (159.74 MB - compressed format, ZIP;
sha256: f589683dcdef403f3931b0ba9c5d7088e4e5a9e63bc02cbfb4c5d1e0c13ef5d9Checksum) which includes metadata, file index, data files, and any other supplemental files provided by the author
Need information about Using our Formats?