- Incidental and long-distance bird observations in the Shoshone, Toiyabe, Toquima, and Monitor ranges, Nevada (3rd Edition)
- Publication Year:
- How to Cite:
These data were collected using funding from the U.S. Government and can be used without additional permissions or fees. If you use these data in a publication, presentation, or other research product please use the following citation:
Fleishman, Erica. 2019. Incidental and long-distance bird observations in the Shoshone, Toiyabe, Toquima, and Monitor ranges, Nevada. 3rd Edition. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. Updated 08 January 2020. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2013-0012-3
- These data document detections of birds in canyons throughout four mountain ranges in the central Great Basin (Lander, Nye, and Eureka counties, Nevada): the Shoshone Mountains, Toiyabe Range, Toquima Range, and Monitor Range. A small number of detections were made in the valleys adjacent to these mountain ranges and in the Desatoya Range. Data were collected during the breeding season from 2002 through 2015, inclusive, and in 2018 and 2019. These data complement those in Fleishman 2019 (https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2011-0002-4), which included detections of breeding birds during fixed-radius point counts within 100 meters of the observer. The data in this data publication allow more-complete documentation of the composition and distribution of the local and regional avifauna than would be possible with the fixed-radius point-count data alone. Some birds documented in these data were detected during fixed-radius point counts but were outside the radius of the sample point (e.g., > 100 meters from the observer) or flying over the point rather than apparently using resources within the point. Others were detected opportunistically while traveling to sampling locations or at other times. The detections also include juveniles, which are not included in published analyses. Data include species detected, date of detection, and, in most cases, method of detection and either coordinates or an approximate location.
- biota; environment; Ecology, Ecosystems, & Environment; Animal ecology; Fire; Fire effects on environment; Prescribed fire; Forest & Plant Health; Botany; Inventory, Monitoring, & Analysis; Monitoring; Wildlife (or Fauna); Birds; Habitat management; breeding birds; detections; point counts; wildfire; land-cover change; riparian; pinyon; juniper; sagebrush; Joint Fire Science Program; JFSP; Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program; SERDP; Southwest Climate Adaptation Science Center; Northwest Climate Adaptation Science Center; central Nevada; Nevada; Great Basin; central Great Basin; Shoshone Mountains; Toiyabe Range; Toquima Range; Monitor Range; Desatoya Range; Lander Country; Nye County; Eureka County; Reese River Valley; Big Smoky Valley; Monitor Valley; Antelope Valley
Download count: 6
- Data Access:
- View metadata (HTML)
- View file index (HTML), which lists all files in this data publication and short description of their contents
- Download data publication (546.55 KB - compressed format, ZIP;
sha256: a05e084055e7c8166d53c1095c5d7df25812657a829a67821a97d068dc73431aChecksum) which includes metadata, file index, data files, and any other supplemental files provided by the author
Need information about Using our Formats?