- National river recreation study data: a nationwide survey of river recreation use from 1977-1984
Cole, David N.;
- Publication Year:
- How to Cite:
These data were collected using funding from the U.S. Government and can be used without additional permissions or fees. If you use these data in a publication, presentation, or other research product please use the citation below when citing the data product:
Cole, David N. 2014. National river recreation study data: a nationwide survey of river recreation use from 1977-1984. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2014-0007
- This data publication contains data collected as part of the National River Recreation Study (NRRS), which was a program of long-term research on river recreationists nationwide. The North Central Forest Experiment Station, USDA Forest Service, St. Paul, Minnesota (NCFES) conducted the overall study between 1977 and 1984. Both onsite interviews and mail back surveys were used to collect data, which included recreationist responses from over 69 surveys that took place in 23 states across the United States on 57 different river segments. Participants were asked questions about river usage (how often visited, type of watercraft used, etc.), opinions of location (erosion of stream banks, litter on banks, too many homes along river, etc.), changes people might like to see (more parking at access points, post signs warning of hazard, etc.), why they visit the location, and potential damage found or conflicts with other visitors.
- environment; inlandWaters; society; Inventory, Monitoring, & Analysis; Assessments; Monitoring; Natural Resource Management & Use; Water; Environment and People; Recreation; river recreation; survey; interviews; individual; group; standardized measurement; river recreation opportunities; preferences; resource damage; river recreation experiences; visitors; visitor surveys; river management problems; management actions; river recreation conflicts; Colorado River; Missouri River; Main Salmon River; Middle Fork Salmon River; Deschutes River; Mohican River; Apple River; Ocoee River; Hiwassee River; Nantahala River; Illinois River; Eleven Point River; North Fork River; Piney River; Cannon River; St. Croix River; Wolf River; Kings River; Stanislaus River; Salt River; Lower Salmon River; Carson River; Green Rio Grande River; Gulkana River; Delta River; New River; Delaware River; Housatonic River; Farmington River; Suasco River; Juniper Springs River; Blackwater River; Suwanee River; Ichetucknee River; Alexander Springs River; Indian River; Withlacoochee River; Owyhee River; North Platte River; Dolores River; Snake River; St. Croix River; Namekagon River; Guldena River; Denmark; Alaska; Arizona; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Florida; Idaho; Michigan; Missouri; Montana; North Carolina; New Mexico; Nevada; New York; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Wisconsin; West Virginia; Wyoming
Download count: 29
- Data Access:
- View metadata (HTML)
- View file index (HTML), which lists all files in this data publication and short description of their contents
- Download data publication (15.68 MB - compressed format, ZIP;
sha256: a32027af72c3cd58af10ccd8632d2188eb6011870a886b3fa14c4d2db0998e2dChecksum) which includes metadata, file index, data files, and any other supplemental files provided by the author
Need information about Using our Formats?