- Data on wilderness experience stewardship from a 2001-2002 visitor survey at Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve
Watson, Alan E.;
Christensen, Neal A.;
- Publication Year:
- How to Cite:
These data were collected using funding from the U.S. Government and can be used without additional permissions or fees. If you use these data in a publication, presentation, or other research product please use the following citation:
Glaspell, Brian; Watson, Alan E.; Kneeshaw, Katie; Pendergrast, Don; Christensen, Neal A.; Liljeblad, Adam. 2015. Data on wilderness experience stewardship from a 2001-2002 visitor survey at Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2015-0038
- Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve (GAAR) is a remote area in the Brooks Range of northern Alaska. GAAR contains more than 7 million acres of federally designated wilderness, but hosts only about 600 recreation visitors per year. A two-year, two-phase project was implemented at GAAR to provide scientific input to visitor management and backcountry planning. In phase I (2001) qualitative methods (in-depth interviews) were used to develop an understanding of the nature of visitor experiences and to identify significant influences on those experiences. Results identified five broad experience dimensions and several potential factors of influence upon those experiences. In phase II of the research project (2002), a quantitative survey of 201 recreation visitors and 18 commercial operators in GAAR was conducted to investigate and validate the distribution of phase I results. Phase I produced data in the form of interviews, transcribed verbatim, and sound recordings, containing interview excerpts. Phase II data was generated from survey responses, in the form of text files.
- visitors; visitor experience; visitor access; management; management planning; commercial use; wilderness; wildlife encounters; trends; biota; boundaries; economy; inlandWaters; location; planningCadastre; society; transportation; Environment and People; Recreation; Social values, ethics; Inventory, Monitoring, & Analysis; Natural Resource Management & Use; Economics; Wilderness; North America; Alaska; Arctic Circle; Brooks Range; continental divide; Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve; Coldfoot Visitor Center; Fairbanks
- Data Access:
- View metadata (HTML)
- View file index (HTML), which lists all files in this data publication and short description of their contents
- Download data publication (6.12 MB - compressed format, ZIP;
sha256: 52b50d52c2295a0e5a66125d9265becd6c89d19e0178ed590640c60871cfc0c9Checksum) which includes metadata, file index, data files, and any other supplemental files provided by the author
Need information about Using our Formats?