- Lick Creek historic photographic series: a century of change in a ponderosa pine forest in western Montana, US
Hood, Sharon M.;
Lutes, Duncan C.;
Crotteau, Justin S.;
Keyes, Christopher R.;
Harrington, Michael G.;
Munger, Gregory T.
- Publication Year:
- How to Cite:
These data were collected using funding from the U.S. Government and can be used without additional permissions or fees. If you use these data in a publication, presentation, or other research product please use the following citation:
Hood, Sharon M.; Lutes, Duncan C.; Crotteau, Justin S.; Keyes, Christopher R.; Sala, Anna; Harrington, Michael G.; Munger, Gregory T. 2018. Lick Creek historic photographic series: a century of change in a ponderosa pine forest in western Montana, US. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. Updated 04 June 2019. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2018-0023
- This photoseries contains 14 photopoints from the Lick Creek Demonstration/Research Forest where repeat photographs document forest change from 1909 through 2016 following harvesting, prescribed burning, and succession. The Lick Creek site is a managed ponderosa pine forest, located in the Bitterroot Mountains within the Bitterroot National Forest in Western Montana. These photoseries document forest change typical of dry ponderosa pine forests in the West when fire is excluded. In 1909, the Forest Service sent a Washington Office photographer to document the sale using a view box camera and glass plates. In 1925, many of the original photograph locations were re-located and 13 were permanently monumented in 1938. A 14th location was re-located in 2015. Photographs from most of the photopoints were taken in 1909, 1925-1927, 1937-1938, 1948, 1958, 1968, 1979, 1989, 1997, 2009, 2015, and 2016.
- biota; environment; vegetation; fire exclusion; pinus ponderosa; Pinus ponderosa Lawson & C. Lawson var. ponderosa C. Lawson; Rocky Mountain Douglas-fir; Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco var. glauca (Beissn.) Franco; Ecology, Ecosystems, & Environment; Fire; Fire suppression, pre-suppression; Inventory, Monitoring, & Analysis; Monitoring; Montana; United States; Bitterroot National Forest
- Data Access:
- View metadata (HTML)
- View file index (HTML), which lists all files in this data publication and short description of their contents
- Download data publication (737.76 MB - compressed format, ZIP;
sha256: d511b4d3ac446fd5f1802e27fb479cd9cd2ad89a1047e6ee4848b783a351a9a5Checksum) which includes metadata, file index, data files, and any other supplemental files provided by the author
Need information about Using our Formats?