Open Access - Data Use Agreement
By downloading a Data Publication or the results of a database query, the Data User agrees to abide by the terms of this agreement.
These data were collected or processed using funding from the U.S. Government and can be used without additional permissions or fees. Permission to acquire and use these data is granted to the Data User subject to the following terms.
Conditions of Use:
1. Citation. It is routine professional ethics to acknowledge the work of other scientists. Scientists are evaluated, in part, on the utility of their research; your compliance with this citation requirement is important to proper evaluation of research contributions. Therefore, the Data User will properly cite the Data Publication in any publications or in the metadata of any derived data products produced using the Data Publication. Citation should take the following general form: Data Publication Creator, Year of Data Publication, Title of Data Publication, Publisher, Data Publication Identifier. For example:
Sikkink, Pamela G.; Dillon, Gregory K.; Keane, Robert E.; Morgan, Penelope; Karau, Eva C.; Holden, Zachary A.; Silverstein, Robin P. 2013. Composite Burn Index (CBI) data and field photos collected for the FIRESEV project, western United States. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2013-0017
2. Quality and Reliability. The Data User will notify the designated Data Publication Contact (see data documentation) if errors are identified in the publication. This will allow the Owner to evaluate the problem(s) and determine an appropriate solution. The Data User agrees to not re-distribute a modified version of the data publication and represent it as the original data publication. (Sharing the unmodified version is permissible under the agreement.)
Metadata documents have been reviewed for accuracy and completeness. Unless otherwise stated, all data and related materials are considered to satisfy the quality standards relative to the purpose for which the data were collected. However, neither the author, the Archive, nor any part of the federal government can assure the reliability or suitability of these data for a particular purpose. The act of distribution shall not constitute any such warranty, and no responsibility is assumed for a user's application of these data or related materials.
The metadata, data, or related materials may be updated without notification. If a user believes errors are present in the metadata, data or related materials, please use the information in
(1) Identification Information: Point of Contact,
(2) Metadata Reference: Metadata Contact, or
(3) Distribution Information: Distributor to notify the author or the Archive of the issues
- Data Publication = package of digital research data, formal metadata, and other documentation the author included to facilitate understanding of the study.
- Data User = person who is using the contents of a Data Publication.
- Data Publication Creator = individual or institution that produced the Data Publication.
- Data Publication Contact = party designated in the accompanying metadata of the Data Publication as the primary contact for the Data Publication.
- Distributor = individual or institution providing access to the Data Publication