The national forests in North Carolina offer a wide variety of outdoor recreation opportunities. From the mountains to the sea, there are many exciting adventures awaiting your visit to these national forests. Please keep in mind that all outdoor recreational activities on the Croatan, Pisgah, Nantahala and Uwharrie national forests, including activities at recreation sites, have inherent risks due to the natural setting in which they occur. We strongly encourage you to visit our regional Outdoor Safety in the South website before planning your trip. This site provides valuable information on weather safety, wildlife safety and much more. Always remember, your safety is your responsibility.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Recreation Conditions Report
This trail offers eight off-highway-vehicle trail miles for riders. The trail is designated for all-terrain vehicles and trail bikes. ATVs are defined as having seat to be straddled by the operator and a handlebar for steering, with three, four, or six wheels and under 60 inches in width.
Riding off-highway vehicles at Black Swamp OHV Trail on the Croatan National Forest requires a pass sold only on Recreation.gov.
At the website, search on Black Swamp OHV and select the 1-day pass for $5 or the annual pass for $30.
You don’t need to print a copy of the day pass. You can store the pass on your smart phone or other device and show it to confirm your purchase. If you buy an annual pass, you can print the pass to display on your tow vehicle.
- Each OHV needs a pass.
- You must enter the names for each rider and a license plate for each tow vehicle that will be at the trailhead. A state driver’s license must be available to show during a law enforcement compliance check.
- Passes can be downloaded to each rider’s phone or printed at home and carried on the trail. You can email and text passes to each rider if one person is making purchases for multiple riders.
Alerts & Warnings
- Cheoah RD: NCDOT highway improvements will affect AT users
- Croatan NF: Two Roads Closed for Visitor Safety and Maintenance
- Cheoah RD: Fontana Loop Trail TR15, Portions of Bee Cove TR421 Temporarily Close
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest