Camping & Cabins
Choose from the following to find a site:
The Least You Need to Know About Camping
- You do not need a permit to camp on the National Forests or in designated campgrounds
- If your campfire will be on National Forest System lands you will not need a wood permit to cut firewood.
- Dispersed and Primitive tent camping within the Forests is allowed almost anywhere, unless otherwise posted closed and/or "No Camping".
- No RV hook-ups are available for water, sewage or electric at any campground.
- Several campgrounds require or recommend a reservation.
- Campgrounds that have RV sites tend to have more ammenities - playgrounds, beaches, or showers for example.
- Winter Camping is available at:
- Au Sable River Primitive Camps
- Meadows Campground
- McKinley and River Road Campgrounds on the Shore to Shore Trail