Camping & Cabins

Choose from the following to find a site:


A family camping within the Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area.

You do not need a permit to camp on the National Forests or in designated campgrounds, although some campgrounds do require a reservation and/or camping fee; and if your campfire will be on National Forest System lands you will not need a wood permit to cut firewood. 


Dispersed and Primitive tent camping within the Forests is allowed almost anywhere, unless otherwise posted closed and/or "No Camping". 


Most campgrounds have drinking water.  No RV hook-ups are available for water, sewage or electric at any campground.

Reservations are recommended at the following sites:

Parent Location Recreation Site
Lake Michigan Lake Michigan Recreation Area - two loops
Lumberman's Monument Visitor Center Monument
Manistee/Wellston - Udell Hills Area Sand Lake Recreation Area
Pere Marquette National Scenic River Bowman Bridge
Gleason's Landing
Pine National Scenic River Peterson Bridge Campground
River Road National Scenic Byway Rollways


Reservations are required at the following sites:

Parent Location

Recreation Site

Au Sable River - 4001 Canoe Landing to Lake Huron Au Sable River Primitive Camping
Shore to Shore Trail River Road Trail Camp - call Huron Shores office
South Branch Trail Camp - group site only
White River, Candidate Wild and Scenic Study River Pines Point group site

Reservations can be made at


During the late fall and winter months there are several campgrounds that are "closed by snow" or "not cleared". These campgrounds are not gated or closed during the off-season, but they are also not maintained or plowed in the winter. Please check the conditions report on the main recreation page for a listing of these campgrounds. 


Campsites are generally designated with a carsonite post with a number on it:

An example of a carsonite post found at designated campsites on the Huron-Manistee