Motor Vehicle Use Maps

The Motor Vehicle Use Map is a black and white map with no topographic features. It is a map for legal designations of where the public can travel with various motorized vehicles on national forest lands, but for additional reference it is best used in conjunction with a Forest Visitor Map or other detailed map. It is the responsibility of the public to stay on designated routes for motor vehicle use. 

The MVUM is free to the public at all forest offices. It is also available online and sections of it may be printed from a home computer.


Download a PDF of Motor Vehicle Use Maps from across the Forest

Motor Vehicle Use Maps


Downloadable Motor Vehicle Use Map

To print: Once the Motor Vehicle Map opens, zoom into the area you wish to print. From the menu bar select FILE and PRINT. Under PAGES TO PRINT select MORE OPTIONS, then CURRENT VIEW. Under PAGE SIZING and HANDLING select FIT. Select your preferred orientation and PRINT.

Austin Tonopah Ranger District

Carson and Bridgeport Ranger Districts

Ely Ranger District

Mountain City-Ruby Mountains-Jarbidge Ranger District

Santa Rosa Ranger District

Spring Mountains National Recreation Area


Mobile Device Motor Vehicle Use Maps

Avenza app graphicMVUMs for mobile devices are available at the Avenza store for use with the Avenza App. Maps used in the app are geospatial PDFs, GeoPDF or GeoTIFFs. 


If you own a mobile device such as an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Android (4.0.3 or newer), or Windows Phone, you can take the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest MVUMs with you.

1. Download the Avenza PDF maps app to your mobile device.

2. Once you have Avenza on your mobile device, use your device to search for maps under "STORE," tab.  Under "Find a Map" search for “Humboldt-Toiyabe MVUM” to download MVUMs for Humboldt-Toiyabe Natioanl Forest.

With the app and maps installed on your mobile device, you will be able to:

  • View your location on the PDF maps using the built-in GPS device 

  • Measure distances and areas

  • Plot waypoints 

  • View maps offline


About the Motor Vehicle Use Map

The Motor Vehicle Use Map is a requirement of the 2005 Final Travel Management Rule and is a product of the 1997 revision of the Forest Plan and travel management decisions on each ranger district. It displays National Forest System routes (roads and trails) or areas designated as open to motorized travel. The map also displays allowed uses by vehicle class (ex. highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), seasonal allowances, distance allowances, and provides information on other travel rules and regulations.

Routes not shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map are not open to public motor vehicle travel. Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground but will be identified on the MVUM. It will be the public's responsibility to reference the Motor Vehicle Use Map to stay on designated routes for motor vehicle use.