Caring for more than 193 million acres the Forest Service offers a diversity of occupations and geographic locations. If you’re interested in a career with the federal government, now is an exciting time. Current hiring for the Shawnee National Forest is listed in the Vacancies below. All applicants must apply through USAJobs. Prepare for the USAJobs process but reading these tips on preparing your resume on USAJobs.
When applying, please be sure to specify your preferred duty location. Oftentimes job announcements cover more than one location. So it is important during the hiring process to select your preferred duty location so your application is not delayed or rejected.
Multiple Permanent Positions
The Shawnee National Forest is outreaching for the yearly “Fire Hire” event. Announcements will be opening soon in USAJOBS for multiple permanent wildland firefighter positions for the 2024 fire year. These positions will be filled during the Eastern Region - Phase 1 Fire Hire Event. Vacancies will be open 08/31/2023 through 09/29/2023. Shawnee NF vacancies include:
- Assistant Engine Captain (FEO) GS-0462 06/07 Vienna, IL
- Assistant Engine Captain (FEO) GS-0462 06/07 Murphysboro, IL
- Senior Firefighter GS-0462 04/05 Murphysboro, IL
See our outreach notice for full position details.
Applicants must apply to Murphysboro, IL or Vienna, IL to be considered for these positions.If interested, please return the interest form at the end of this outreach to: John N. Hein @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Civil Engineer GS-0810-05/07(09)
Both the Shawnee and the Hoosier National Forests are hoping to fill permanent Civil Engineer GS-0810-05/07(09) positions through the upcoming Annual STEM and Women of Color Hiring Event via Pathways (Recent Grad) or Merit Promotion. More about STEM Career Opportunities with the US Forest Service.
The Hoosier NF position will be located at Bedford, Indiana. The Shawnee NF position will be located at Harrisburg, Illinois. See the attached outreach notices for more information.
The vacancy announcement is planned to be open to applications October 5-16 at USAjobs.gov.
Additional National Hiring Events or within the Eastern Region
How it works
Jobs with the Forest Service include the following list, plus many more:
- Budget & Finance
- Wildland fire fighters
- Biological Sciences
- Partnership Coordinators
- Human Resources
- Jobs are first advertised with a job outreach announcing that there will be a job vacancy opening up soon.
- Search the Forest Service's Job Outreach Database and set yourself up for automatic alerts on the job type and pay grade, etc. you prefer.
- When the job vacancy opens, applicants apply to the job vacancy in USAjobs. Only on-line applications are accepted and must be submitted through USAjobs. Some positions have direct hire authority, and others are open to the Veterans Recruitment Appointment.
- How much does it pay? Learn more about Forest Service pay and benefits.
Forest Service Hiring Events
- Upcoming Webinars that help you through the job application process.