Requirements & Resources

Photography and filming requests must be submitted to allow a full 14 calendar days for processing. The 14-day processing period starts on the first business day the proposal was received.  Fee structure and insurance requirements are found on the official Film Request Form.

Update September 1, 2022: Photography and filming requests will resume; allow a full 14 days for processing. 

Email the completed request form to  

The Oregon Film Board's website has a database of images to help you with your scouting. While not required, out of town production companies benefit from hiring an Oregon based location scout. The Oregon Film Board can also provide information regarding incentives that the State of Oregon offers.

Need a Filming Permit in less than 14 days?  Our Ski Areas can issue permits for filming & still photography within their boundaries:


Contact Name

Phone Number

Email Address

Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Area

Anna Laxague

(503) 337-2222, Ext. 1207

Mt. Hood Skibowl Ski Area

Shannon Berger-Hammond

(503) 272-3206, Ext. 1112

Timberline Lodge & Ski Area

Stevie Della

(503) 272-3401


When do I need a Filming or Photography Permit?

The type of photographic activity determines whether or not a permit is required. See examples and criteria listed below.

Personal use:

If you are shooting still photographs or "home movies" for personal use (e.g., that does not involve advertisement of a product or service, the creation of a product for sale), then a special use permit is not required.

Breaking News:

Breaking news is an event or incident that arises suddenly, evolves quickly, and rapidly ceases to be newsworthy. A special use permit is not required for activities involving breaking news. Examples of breaking news are:

  • A wildland fire
  • A search and rescue

Still Photography:

Still photography uses photographic equipment to capture still images on film, digital format, and other similar technologies. National Forest visitors and professional or amateur photographers need a special use permit to take still photographs if the still photography:

  1. Uses models, sets, or props that are not part of the site’s natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities.
  2. Takes place at a location where members of the public are generally not allowed or where additional administrative costs are likely.

A selection of public domain photos of Mt. Hood National Forest are available on our Flickr album for free use.

Commercial Filming:

A special use permit is required for all commercial filming activities on National Forest System lands. Commercial filming is the use of motion picture, videotaping, drones, sound recording, other moving image or audio recording equipment on National Forest System lands that involves the advertisement of a product or service, the creation of a product for sale, or the use of actors, models, sets or props, but not activities associated with broadcasts for news programs.

For purposes of this definition, creation of a product for sale includes but is not limited to a film, videotape, television broadcast or documentary of historic events, wildlife, natural events, features, subjects or participants in a sporting or recreation event and so forth, when created for the purpose of generating income.

Commercial filming or still photography will not be permitted if the Forest Service determines that any of the following criteria apply:

  • There is a likelihood of resource damage that cannot be mitigated.
  • There would be an unreasonable disruption of the public's use and enjoyment of the site (beyond short term interruption).
  • The activity poses health or safety risks to the public that cannot be mitigated.

Use of drones is NOT allowed in Wilderness. More Information on Drone Use (UAS) on Forest Service lands.