Recreation Passes & Permits Introduction

National Recreation Passes

2023 Interagency Annual Card Image 2023 Interagency 4th Grade Pass - EKO 2023 Interagency Military Annual Pass 2022 Interagency Annual Military Pass 2022 Interagency Lifetime Senior Pass 2023 Interagency Senior Annual Pass 2022 Interagency Access Pass 2023 Interagency Volunteer Pass

National passes also known as the America the Beautiful (ATB) passes cover recreation fees found at federal recreation areas such as national forests and grasslands. They also can be used at national parks, wildlife refuges and other federal lands. They cover the use of facilities and services at many day-use sites on US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands.

There are several pass options to consider. To make the best choice on which pass to purchase, you should think about your recreation plans for the next year.

  • Your best value may be a single-day pass.
  • Or if you’re a frequent visitor to one or more sites, a multi-day pass or annual pass that covers a forest or region may be the best buy.
  • An Interagency Annual Pass may be your best value if you plan to visit many different federal lands across the nation that include lands managed by other federal agencies.
  • You may also qualify for one of the Interagency Lifetime Passes (Interagency Senior Pass or Interagency Access Pass).
  • The "Every Kid Outdoors" pass gives fourth graders free access to 2,000-plus federal recreation sites. Detailed information about that pass is available on the Every Kid Outdoors site.
  • America the Beautiful FAQs: Languages EnglishEspañolPortuguês한국인日本ItalianoDeutschFrançais

The USGS Store provides Frequently Asked Questions about Recreational Passes. For more information about permits and passes, see our national Recreation Fees and Passes website.

Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. The 2023 dates are:

Regional Recreation Passes

Wherever you live in Southern California, you're just a short drive away from a spectacular wildlands adventure—recreating in the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres, and San Bernardino National Forests! If you plan to visit one or more of the four National Forests in Southern California, you may want to consider an Adventure Pass.

Recreation Permits

The Forest Service may require recreation permits when extra measures are needed to protect natural or cultural resources, to restrict the number of people participating in the activity at any one time, to provide extra safety or for other specialized services. These permits may be issued to individuals as "Special Recreation Permits." Examples are:

  • Off-highway vehicle riding
  • Boating on designated Wild and Scenic Rivers
  • Rock climbing
  • Wilderness areas that have limited access
  • Shooting ranges
  • Groomed cross-country ski trails

Please contact the nearest Forest Service office for information about permits that may be required in that area.