Passes & Permits

The Black Hills National Forest is open, free of charge, for your use and enjoyment. Fees may be charged and permits required for some activities and locations, including camping and parking fees.


annual pass

Recreation Passes & Permits - Find information about available recreation passes.

Christmas tree cutting

Forest Products Permits - Permits are required to remove forest products such as firewood, rocks and minerals, transplants and decorative wood. Find information on Christmas tree cutting, firewood permits and more.

Black Elk Wilderness

Event/Commercial Permits - Find information on commercial use, outfitter guide, photography permit requirements and more.

Business permittees, such as campground concessionaires & outfitter guides must have appropriate permits to provide services on National Forest Lands.

Bearlodge Fall Road by Steve Kozel

Other permits - Find information about special use & road use permits.