Passes & Permits

Not sure if you need a pass or permit? Read below or click on one of the links for more information on the types of passes and permits available on the Huron-Manistee National Forests

What Pass/Permit Do You Need?

  • Recreation Passes and Permits

    A placeholder image

    Learn about recreation passes including day, annual and lifetime recreation passes, the cost and how to purchase one. Low-cost and free passes for fourth graders, people living with disabilities, senior citizens, and military. Au Sable River Primitive Camping and Pere Marquette/Pine River Watercraft permits.

  • Forest Product Permits

    A placeholder image

    Find out more about obtaining a fuelwood/firewood permits and Holiday tree tags.

  • Event/Commercial Permits

    A placeholder image

    Special Use Program overview and application forms for water transmission, road and utility right-of-ways, research, etc. Includes information on deadlines for event and commercial permits.

  • Noncommercial Road Use FAQ

    A placeholder image

    Frequently asked questions about other permits, including noncommercial road use.

Do You Need a Pass or Permit?

When DON'T You Need A Permit?

  • When you are gathering edible material (morels, etc.) for your own consumption.
  • When you are camping in a dispersed area.
  • When you are at a site that doesn't require a Recreation Enhancement Act Fee.
  • When you are building a campfire on National Forest System lands you can collect a reasonable quantity of wood for the campfire without a permit.

When DO You Need A Permit?

  • For some recreation activities:
    • At most day use sites such as trailheads, picnic areas and river access sites
    • Reserving a campsite
    • When riding an ATV, OHV or Motorcycle on National Forest System motorized trails
  • For collecting fuelwood.
  • Special Use Permits are required for commercial and non-commercial use of NFS lands, including:
    • Easements for electrical and utility lines,
    • roads to access private property bound by National Forest lands,
    • oil and gas pipelines, wells or holding tanks, etc.
    • Minerals


OHV Riding Requirements

A sign on a tree notifies users that an OHV license is required for this area.

See links above for information on area OHV camping, open areas, trails and road riding routes, with specific links to trailheads, campgrounds and route maps. 

View Feature

Kirtland's Warbler Guided Tours

Kirtlands Warbler in a tree

Information on guided Kirtland's warbler tours.

View Feature