Passes & Permits

  • National Recreation Passes

    National Recreation Passes

    Interagency Passes include the Annual Pass, Every Kid in a Park 4th grade program, Interagency Military Passes, Senior Passes for persons over 62, and Access Passes for persons with permanent disabilities.

  • Wilderness Permits

    Hikers on a rocky high elevation trail

    Wilderness trails connect Inyo National Forest to Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, as part of the longest roadless section of the Sierra Nevada. Permits are required for overnight trips and all Mt Whitney hikes.

  • Campfire Permit

    Portable backpacking stove

    A campfire permit is required to use a portable stove or any open flame such as campfires or charcoal fires, unless you are in a developed campground or picnic area. Remember to check for fire restrictions before you go!

  • Event, Film, Commercial & Special Use Permits

    A cow in the forest

    Certain types of uses of public lands require "Special Use Authorizations". These include activities such as filming, events, providing commercial services, using the forest for financial gain, or recreation residences.

  • Woodcutting Permit

    Firewood stack

    Woodcutting permit allows you to cut firewood on National Forest land. Collection areas and rules may change every year, be sure to print out the current map to go with your fuelwood permit. Check fire danger for shutdown days before running a chainsaw.

  • Forest Products & Christmas Tree Permit

    Christmas tree foliage and permit

    Adventuring out to a National Forest to collect pine cones, pick berries, or cut a Christmas tree for the holidays has been a treasured tradition for many generations. Find out what you can collect and if a Forest Product Permit is required.