Fire Management

Role and History of Fire

Most of the vegetation on the Kaibab National Forest is adapted to the recurrent wildland fires started by lightning from spring and summer thunderstorms. Frequent, low-intensity fire plays a vital a role in maintaining ecosystem health. ~More~
 

Current Fire Danger and Conditions

North Kaibab Ranger District

  • Fire Danger:  Very High

  • For contractors working on forest, please contact your contracting officer for additional information:

    • Preparedness Level: 4

    • Industrial Plan:  B

Tusayan Ranger District

  • Fire Danger: Very High

  • For contractors working on forest, please contact your contracting officer for additional information:

    • Preparedness Level: 4

    • Industrial Plan:  B

Williams Ranger District

  • Fire Danger:  Very High

  • For contractors working on forest, please contact your contracting officer for additional information:

    • Preparedness Level:  4

    • Industrial Plan:  B
       

It is important for forest visitors to understand the meaning of the various levels of Fire Danger and Fire Restrictions. For current fire restrictions please refer to Alerts & Notices or the Forest Orders pages.
 

Drones

Questions, answers and links to websites. ~More~
 

SWCC - Predictive Services

Includes Intelligence Operations, Outlooks, Fuels & Fire Danger plus much more for the Southwestern Region. ~More~
 

Current Wildland Fire Information

The map below is produced by the National Wildfire Coordinating Group and is hosted on the National Fire Situational Awareness page, where users may access the map in a full browser view. Click on the icons shown on the left portion of the map for more information, i.e. legend, tools, etc. Additional incident-specific information can be accessed at InciWeb.

 

Fire Information

Ensuring that the public has accurate and timely information about wildland fire is critically important given that we live in a fire-adapted ecosystem in northern Arizona. For Kaibab N.F. wildfire, prescribed burning, and fire restriction information, please call the Kaibab N.F. Fire Information Line at (928) 635-8311. Additional fire information may also appear on our Kaibab N.F. website under the  "News & Events" section, Kaibab N.F. social media - Twitter and Facebook, and on the Inciweb site.
 

Fire Prevention

The Kaibab National Forest averages between 100 and 150 fires per year. Typically, 75 percent of those fires are caused by lightning. The remaining 25 percent are from various preventable human causes. ~More~
 

Fire Jobs

Working in Fire and Aviation Management on the Kaibab National Forest is both challenging and rewarding. The program requires well-maintained, fire-ready equipment and highly-skilled personnel working in a variety of positions to achieve land management objectives. To learn more about fire jobs on the forest, visit Kaibab Employment.



https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/kaibab/fire