Forest Products Permits

Fresh picked mushroomsThe taking or removal of forest products may require a permit and/or the payment of a minimal fee. Please inquire at the local District Office before removing any products from the forest.

Commercial purposes:  A permit is required for taking or removal of any forest product for commercial purposes.


Personal Use:  A permit is required for taking or removal from the forest for personal use the following forest products:



A permit is not required for taking small quantities of the following products from the forest for personal use:

  • Berries
  • Pine nuts
  • Pine cones 


Christmas Tree Gathering

Christmas Tree 2020

For the 2020 holiday season the Klamath National Forest is offering residents and forest visitors the opportunity to cut one Christmas tree per family for free with no permit required. More information is available here.

This offer supersedes our earlier announcement about obtaining Christmas Tree permits through  

Forest Products for Personal Use

Image of products that can be harvested in the forest

For minor amounts of forest products that are for one’s direct personal use, a permit may not be required.

The following page lists the products and the amounts that may be harvested under the incidental use rules.  Following these rules, a permit is not required and there is no cost for collecting the items.  Materials gathered under incidental use must be for your own personal use and cannot be sold or exchanged in any form, nor be used for making something for sale.

To download a brochure with information on what you can collect, the amounts allowed, and how to harvest to preserve and renew the forest products, click here (.pdf file)

View All Features