Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits

Annual Passes 2017The Interagency Passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

Parks Management Concession Company Annual Day Use Pass

[image] Parks Management Pass (PMC Annual Pass)The Parks Management Pass (PMC Annual Day Use Pass) can be purchased through or by calling 805-434-1996. This pass can be used for parking at most of the concession-managed day use picnic areas, trailheads and beaches throughout the Los Padres National Forest. Contact the Parks Management Company or the nearest ranger station to find out where PMC Annual Passes can be used.

Special Use Permits

Special Use PermitsCertain types of uses of public lands require "Special Use Authorizations." These include commercial activities, such as filming, guiding, and events.

Campfire Permits

CampfireCampfire Permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires or portable gas stoves outside designated recreation sites. These are free and are available at all Forest Service, BLM, or CAL FIRE offices, or online at

Woodcutting Permits

fuelwood permitLos Padres National Forest is waiving the need for personal use firewood permits until further notice. If you were unable to purchase a permit prior to our offices closing, you may go and cut what you need for your family during this difficult time. All firewood cutting rules remain in place.

Woodcutting requirements may vary substantially so please check with your local ranger district office to see if there are any specific local restrictions or requirements. 


Wilderness Permits

Wilderness permitThe Los Padres has 10 designated wilderness areas. Wilderness permits are not required. Trail camps are one a first-come, first-serve basis. No reservations. CA Campfire Permits are required and are available online at or at Forest Service, BLM or CAL FIRE offices.


Adventure Pass

Adventure Pass logoThe Adventure Pass is a pass to use designated sites and areas of the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres and San Bernardino National Forests. Visitors to these four forests will be required to display the Pass in their vehicles when using the Forest for recreation purpose. The Adventure Pass is not a national pass like the America the Beautiful Interagency Passes. It is a local regional pass, required only on the four forests listed above. America the Beautiful Interagency Passes are also accepted at all locations where the Adventure Pass is required. The Adventure Pass is required to park at snow play areas on the Mt. Pinos Ranger District during winter months.

Parks Management Company Concession-Managed Recreation Sites in the Los Padres National Forest

[image] Parks Management Pass (PMC Annual Pass)On November 1, 2016, a new concessionaire Special Use Permit (SUP) was issued to Parks Management Company (PMC) for campground and recreation site operations following a competitive bidding process.

Forest Service campground concessionaire SUPs are issued under the authority of the Granger-Thye Act (1950), 16 U.S.C. 580d, and the permits have a 10-year life span. Since 1985, Los Padres campgrounds, day-use areas and certain trailheads have been managed by a concessionaire under an SUP. The previous concessionaire permits on Los Padres expired in October 2016. The new SUP with PMC replaces six existing permits and will place the concession operations under one forest-wide permit.

Los Padres has 125 developed campgrounds, day-use sites, and trailheads. Under the recently expired SUP, 34 sites were managed under concession. The new 10-year SUP includes 18 additional recreation sites that previously required an Adventure Pass or other access pass. Overall, 52 sites will be managed by PMC under a new fee structure, 23 sites will still require a Recreation Pass, and 50 remain free of charge.

Under the new SUP, there will be changes to the recreation sites fees. The 18 sites newly added to the concession SUP that currently require an Adventure Pass ($5.00 per day or $30.00 for an annual pass) will now require a $20-$35 per night camping fee or $10 day-use fee. Interagency Senior and Interagency Access pass holders will receive a 50 percent discount on camping fees. An annual pass for day-use sites will be available through PMC for $50 and will be good at any of the concession-managed picnic and day-use sites on Los Padres. Interagency Senior, Access, Military and Annual Passes and “Every Kid in the Park” 4th Grade Passes will not be honored at concession sites, but will remain valid at the 23 recreation sites that require an Adventure Pass. Select this link for additional information.

Select this link to find out more information about the campgrounds, day use areas, beaches and trailheads that are managed by the Parks Management Company in the Los Padres National Forest.

Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. The 2020 dates are: