Passes & Permits

What kind of pass or permit are you looking for?

  • Recreation Pass

    A placeholder image

    The Malheur National Forest does not charage an entrance fee. Northwest Forest Pass, Annual, Access, Senior, Military, 4th Grade Passes

  • Forest Product Permit

    A placeholder image

    Firewood, Mushroom, Post and Pole, Christmas Tree Tag, etc

  • Special Use Permit

    A placeholder image

    Weddings, Gatherings, Commercial Operations, Guiding and Tours

  • Other Permits and Information

    A placeholder image

    Gold Panning, memorials

Timber Sale Information

Forest Products Permit Information

Recreation Passes

The Malheur National Forest does not charge an entrance or day use fee. Recreation Passes are available for purchase at our offices for use at other forests, parks, and areas that do charge fees. Passes vary in price, and some are free for people with disabilities, 4th Graders, and Active duty military. Seniors (U.S. Citizens and Residents over the age of 62) qualify for discounted passes.
For more information on each type of pass, click here.


Special Use Permits

Permits for events and commercial activities authorize the use and occupancy of National Forest System lands. Examples include gatherings of 75 people or more, operating a business, using the Forest for commercial gain, and commercial filming.

Timber Sales

For up-to-date information on current Timber sales, see the link below.


Other Permits and Regulations

To successfully placer mine, the state of Oregon requires documentation. There are also laws in place concerning the lands that can be mined.


Memorials, Plaques, Honoraria or Commemorative Monuments on National Forest System lands

The Forest Service understand the emotion associated with losing a close friend or family member, and the desire to memorialize an individual or event. While the placement of a monument or memorial on public land may help some individuals through difficult times, these memorials are generally of significance to only those most closely tied to a specific person or event. Others may feel that memorials intrude on their experience of the Forest. For this and other reasons, the placement of monuments or memorials on National Forest System lands is prohibited.

Monuments or memorials will be removed and disposed of when discovered. In lieu of placing a monument or memorial on public land, the Forest Service asks that you consider honoring the person or event in ways that do not have a lasting impact on the landscape or other visitors’ experiences.

Memorials or other commemorative items left on public land may be a violation of 43 CFR 2990.1-2 Unauthorized Use, or 43 CFR 8365.1-2 Unattended Personal Property

There are nonprofits that are able to plant trees in memorial. The American Forests group plants memorial trees in national forests in honor of loved ones. Find out more about the Memorial Trees campaign. The Arbor Day Foundation plants Trees in Memory and Trees in Celebration.