Recreation Passes & Permits

Many areas on the forests and grassland may be visited for free, but some areas require a day use fee for user recreation. View this helpful list of all fee-collecting day use areas on the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest and Thunder Basin National Grassland. Fees for these areas may be paid onsite using fee envelopes or purchased online ahead of time. Additionally, there are options for local and national day use passes that cover fees for an entire year. These options are outlined in detail below. Some recreation activities may also require state-regulated fees, such as hunting, fishing, OHV riding, snowmobiling, and boating

Annual Day-Use Pass - Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests & Thunder Basin National Grassland

Graphic: Annual pass   

The Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests offer an Annual Day Use Pass that may be purchased at any ranger district office and at the visitor centers during normal business hours. 

  • The cost is $30 per year.
  • Pass is valid for one calendar year (January 1 to December 31).
  • This pass is available to anyone.
  • Pass is a valid substitute for day use fees (see below for examples) on the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests.

National Interagency Passes

National interagency recreation passes offer discounts, free entrances, and cover some standard amentity fees at recreation sites with the following federal agencies: U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation.

*Buy passes online at the US Geological Service or at your nearest national forest office.

4th Grade pass   

4th Grade Interagency Pass - Free for current 4th grade students.

Graphic: Annual Pass Image


Interagency Annual Pass ($80) -  For anyone to purchase, valid for 12 months. 

Graphic: Senior Pass


Interagency Senior Lifetime Pass ($80) -  For those age 62 or older. Valid for the lifetime of the passholder.

Graphic: Senior Annual Pass


Interagency Annual Senior Pass ($20) - For those age 62 or older. Valid for one year from month of purchase. A Senior Annual Pass may be applied towards the purchase of a Senior Lifetime Pass. 

Graphic: Access Pass Image 2018


Interagency Access Pass (Free)  -  For those with a permanent disability.

Graphic: Military Pass image 2018  

Interagency Annual Military Pass (Free) - Available for active military personel, or their dependents. Valid for 12 months.

Beginning November 11, 2020, the USDA Forest Service will offer U.S. military veterans and Gold Star families fee-free access to their national forests and grasslands.

Graphic: Volunteer Pass 2018  

Interagency Volunteer Pass - The pass can be issued free of charge to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who individually accrues 500 volunteer hours. Available through agency volunteer program coordinators. Work with your local forest volunteer coordinator.