Passes & Permits

Before you plan an activity, please be sure to check whether or not you need a permit or pass. Forest Service offices can provide more information.

  • Recreation Passes & Permits

    A placeholder image

    You will need a recreation pass for many trailheads, picnic areas, boat launches and interpretive sites. Visitors to designated wilderness areas need a permit. Revenues from pass sales go to maintaining and improving the trails, land and facilities.

  • Wilderness Permits

    A placeholder image

    Day-use visitors may obtain a free, self-issue permit at ranger stations and trailheads.

  • Event or Commercial Use

    A placeholder image

    You need a special use permit when you charge a participation fee for an activity, gatherings of 75 or more people, commercial hauling or commercial filming.

  • Forest Products Permits

    A placeholder image

    Forest products are non-timber vegetative material used for personal, commercial and scientific purposes such as firewood, Christmas trees, wildflowers, cones, poles, tree boughs, nuts and berries, mushrooms, ornamental cuttings, moss and rocks.