Passes & Permits

The Monongahela National Forest manages resources to ensure sustainable ecosystems and resilient watersheds that are capable of providing a sustainable flow of beneficial goods and services to the public. Management protects natural resource values, public health and safety, and is consistent with the Forest Land and Resource Management Plan. In order to meet these objectives, permits may be required for the occupancy and use of Forest Service land. Additionally, passes assist in funding certain management projects.

Please contact the appropriate Ranger District Office for information on other permits not listed.


Recreation Passes and Permits

The Monongahela National Forest does not sale or distribute any recreation passes specific to the Forest. We do issue the Interagency Passes. Find more detailed information on an Interagency Pass, including additional benefits, availability, costs, selling, and validating.

Forest Products

For many edible and decorative material from the forest, no permits are required for non-commercial personal use. Some materials require permits to promote conservation of resources, including (but not limited to) firewood, ginseng, and rock collecting.


Events and Commercial Permits

Filming, group use, and outfitter guide information.

Other Permits

Permits for other items such as road use permits or commercial right of ways.