Maps & Publications
Scroll through this page for information on the following maps and publications:
- National Forest Visitor Maps
- Digital Maps for Your Mobile Device
- Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMS)
- Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Trail Maps
- Over-Snow Vehicle Use Maps
- Brochures - Rentals, Places to Visit, and more
Click on the image above to download an 8.5" by 11" map of the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests.
The Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests offer a variety of maps, many of which are available for purchase at our offices and visitor information centers or over the phone. Please see the headers below for information about different maps available to you. Don't hesitate to contact your local ranger station if you have any questions or would like to purchase a map!
National Forest Visitor Maps
The most comprehensive maps of the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests are available in the National Forest Visitor Maps. These are your "classic" National Forest maps that show roads, trails, campgrounds, and more in-depth information for the National Forest and nearby lands. They are laminated, water-resistant and meant to last for years to come. The forest sells maps for the Clearwater National Forest and the Nez Perce National Forest, as well as for several Wilderness areas and other locations.
National Forest Visitor Maps cost $14. They can be purchased at local Forest Service offices, visitor centers, and community vendors. They can also be purchased online from the the USGS Store.
Digital Maps for Your Mobile Device
If you own a mobile device such as smartphone or tablet, you can take digital copies of the Nez Perce and Clearwater National Forest Visitor Maps and Motor Vehicle Use Maps with you wherever you go! Lear more about the Avenza app and how it works at the Avenza website.
Follow these steps to download maps to your device:
- Download the "Avenza Maps" app to your mobile device. The app is available for both iOS and Android in your respective mobile app store.
- Once you have Avenza on your mobile device, create an account.
- In the Avenza app, select the "Store" button to search for and view available maps and purchase/download the maps of your choosing.
- Search for "Clearwater National Forest Visitor Map" and "Nez Perce National Forest Visitor Map" to find National Forest Visitor Maps to purchase. You will have the choice to purchase any of four maps: Clearwater East, Clearwater West, Nez Perce East, and/or Nez Perce West. The East and West maps correlate with the "front" and "back" of a paper map. Forest Visitor Map downloads are $4.99 each.
- Clearwater National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps are available by searching "Clearwater MVUM" in the Avenza store. These maps can be downloaded free of charge.
- Clearwater National Forest Over Snow Vehicle Use Maps are available by searching "Clearwater OSVUM" in the Avenza store. These maps can be downloaded free of charge.
- Your maps will then be available in your app under "My Maps.
With the app and maps installed on your mobile device, you will be able to:
- View your location on the PDF maps using the built-in GPS device
- Measure distances and areas
- Plot waypoints
- View maps offline
- and more!
Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs)
Motor Vehicle Use Maps are the official map for designating all roads and trails available for public motorized travel on the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests. Visitors should not rely on any other maps for making decisions about motorized travel.
An MVUM displays National Forest System roads, trails and areas designated for motorized use. It also displays allowed uses by vehicle class (e.g. highway-legal vehicles, off-highway vehicles, and motorcycles), seasonal allowances, and information about other travel rules and regulations. It is the legal document that indicates where you can and cannot ride.
Routes not shown on the MVUMs are not open to public motor vehicle travel. Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground but will be identified on the MVUMs. It is the user's responsibility to reference the MVUMs and stay on designated routes for motor vehicle use.
The MVUMs are black and white maps with no topographic features. They display legal designations of where you can travel with various motorized vehicles. For additional information, it is best used in conjunction with a National Forest map or other detailed map.
The MVUMs are free to the public at Forest Service offices. They are also available on this website and sections of it may be printed from your home computer by downloading the documents in the list below.
2020 Clearwater National Forest MVUMs
The Seasonal and Special Vehicle Designation Table (Page 2 of map documents below) covers all the Seasonal and Special Designations except for the Palouse Ranger District. This table shows the open/close dates for motorized routes on the Clearwater National Forest. This table is located on the back page of printed maps found at ranger stations and is meant to be used as a companion to the map documents below.
- 1B Deary Elk River - (Map 1, Back) covers the Palouse Ranger District from Deary/Cherry Butte to Elk River to Dworshak Reservoir
- 1F Upper Palouse - (Map 1, Front) covers Palouse Ranger District - Northwest corner of the forest from Mission Mountain to Abes Knob, adjacent to Idaho Panhandle NF
- 2F Isabella Sheep Mountain - (Map 2, Front) covers North Fork Ranger District from Isabella Point south past Pot Mountain, east to Deadhorse Mountain to Mush Saddle
- 3F Knife Edge Ninemile - (Map 3, Front) covers Lochsa area of the Lochsa-Powell Ranger District – Liz Butte, west to Frenchman Butte, East to Lizard Peak, and South to Glover Saddle
- 4F Lolo Creek Syringa - (Map 4, Front) covers Lochsa area of the Lochsa-Powell Ranger District – from Lolo Creek area south to Three Devils on the Lochsa River, east to Apgar and north past Austin Ridge
- 5F Lolo Pass - (Map 5, Front) covers the Powell area of Lochsa-Powell Ranger District from Colt Creek Camp, north to Pilot Knob, east to Moose Lake, and west to Wendover Campground
- 6F Marten Hill - (Map 6, Front) covers North Fork Ranger District and Lochsa-Powell Ranger District from Pierce
- 7F Pierce Hemlock Butte - (Map 7, Front) covers North Fork Ranger District from Pierce east to Johnagan Mountain, north to Gobblers Knob and south to Frenchman Mountain
- 8F Powell – (Map 8, Front) covers the Powell area of Lochsa-Powell Ranger District from Colgate Camp, east to Colt Creek Camp, south to Hoodoo Lake and north to Lolo Pass
- 9F Upper North Fork - (Map 9, Front) covers North Fork Ranger District from Kelly Forks, east to Fish Lake, North to Graves Peak, and west to Henry Ridge
The final Travel Management Rule was published in the Federal Register on November 9, 2005. The Rule requires each National Forest to designate roads, trails, and areas where motorized travel will be permitted, and to produce a Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM). The Clearwater National Forest completed a Final Environmental Impact Statement and published a Record of Decision for Travel Planning in January 2012. These documents are located at: Clearwater Travel Management Plan FEIS and ROD.
Off-Highway Vehicle Trails Maps
The following maps depict off-highway vehicle (OHV) trails on certian parts of the forest. These maps are a supplement to, not a replacement for, the MVUMs and National Forest Visitor Maps. The maps below are provided for your convenience and do not depict all OHV trails on the forest. If you have questions about avialable OHV routes you are encouraged to contact your local Forest Service office.
- Clarke Mountain OHV Trails Brochure/Map
- Deception OHV Trails Brochure/Map
- Orogrande OHV Trails Map
- Musselshell OHV / Cross Country Ski Trails Map
- Sheep Mountain / Camp 60 OHV Trails Map
- The Camp Moosehorn OHV Route Map
- Palouse Ranger District Motorized Trail System Map
Clearwater National Forest Over Snow Vehicle Use Maps
These maps show National Forest System roads, National Forest System trails, and areas on National Forest System lands where use by over-snow vehicles is allowed, restricted, or prohibited pursuant to 36 CFR 212.81.
Hard copies are also available, free of charge, at all Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests offices. Sporting goods stores in local communities may also have these maps available. District Offices adjacent to the Clearwater National Forest (Lolo, Bitterroot, and Idaho Panhandle) will also have hard copies available. Other partners and distribution locations may be developed over time to help disseminate maps.
Use the Over Snow Vehicle Use Map Index to decide which of the four Over Snow maps you need for your next trip.
The following Over Snow Vehicle Use Maps are available to download free of charge:
Geospatial data is available on our Geospatial Data page. This digital data requires special skills and software to use and display.
The following brochures are available to teach you more about the history and modern opportunities on the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests:
Places to Visit
- Ancient People
- Boundary Trail, Divide Trail
- Driving the Lolo Motorway
- Elk City Wagon Road
- Fenn Historic Ranger Station
- Fish Creek Meadows
- Florence Tells Her Secrets
- Florence - The Lure of Gold
- Gospel-Hump Wilderness
- Highway 12 - A Long & Winding Road
- Lochsa Historical Ranger Station
- Lolo Trail Corridor
- Magruder Road Corridor
- McAllister Trail
- McComas Trails
- Milner Trail, Centennial Trail
- Selway River Corridor
- Travel Planner - Clearwater/Nez Perce Country