Passes & Permits

[photo] Huckleberry fruit on a stem with leaves.

The Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests manage resources to meet sustainable resource management objectives. Management protects natural resource values, public health and safety, and is consistent with the Forest land and resource management plans outlined in the Forest Plan. In order to meet these objectives, permits may be required for the occupancy and use of Forest Service land. Additionally, passes assist in funding certain management projects.

We currently have two sub-sections for Passes & Permits:

  • Recreation
    • Public lands passes, Outfitter and Guides, river permits, Christmas trees
  • Forest Products
    • Firewood, rocks, posts and poles

National Forests and Grasslands throughout the USDA Forest Service’s Northern Region will continue to offer free firewood and other forest product gathering for personal use for the remainder of 2020, but starting June 1 the agency is asking that the public first call to obtain a hard–copy permit in order to track harvesting and communicate important wildfire safety and collection information. Read more.


Collecting Other Forest Items

Special forest products are non-timber goods that can be found in the forest such as mushrooms, beargrass leaves, fern greens, pine cones, evergreen boughs and huckleberries. Because many of these items have a commercial value, they may be over-harvested if not managed. The forest has developed a Special Forest Products Plan to assure sustainable harvest of these resources into the future. "Special Forest Products" is available on-line or at your local Forest Service offices.

It is always best to check with the District or Supervisor's Office before gathering/collecting items from the forest.

Harvesting Mushrooms

A free permit is required for Personal Use Mushroom Gathering. For more information, see our      Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests Personal Use Mushroom Guide. Please remember: All mushrooms harvested for personal use must be sliced in half upon collection. Please see the Personal Use Mushroom Guide for more information.

Community Vendors

A variety of local community vendors sell Forest Service passes, permits, and maps during their regular business hours. Many of these vendors may be open when Forest Service offices are closed, such as on weekends and federal holidays. See below for a current list of vendors and the services they provide.


Vendor City Maps? Firewood Permits?
Pierce Hardware Pierce YES No
Cloninger's Harvest Foods Kamiah No YES
Tom Cats Sporting Goods Kooskia YES YES
Dale's Cashway Kooskia YES No
Harpster Store and RV Harpster No YES
Tackett's Saw Service Grangeville No YES
Elk City Store Elk City YES No
Elk City Station Elk City YES No
Elk City Hotel Elk City YES No
Idaho Rigging Potlatch No YES
Tri-State Outfitters Moscow No YES