Passes & Permits

Memorials or other commemorative items left on public land may be a violation of 43 CFR 2990.1-2 Unauthorized Use, or 43 CFR 8365.1-2 Unattended Personal Property Monuments or memorials will be removed and disposed of when discovered. In lieu of placing a monument or memorial on public land, the Forest Service asks that you consider honoring the person or event in ways that do not have a lasting impact on the landscape or other visitors' experiences. Instead, consider donating to the Forest Service "Plant-A-Tree" Program to plant a tree to memorialize loved ones or commemorate births, weddings, or anniversaries. For a suggested minimum donation of $10, which pays for 10-15 seedlings, donors receive a certificate acknowledging their gift. If desired, the name of the person in whose honor the donation is made will appear on the certificate. The trees, planted mostly in large plantations, will not be individually identified by donor. Smaller (or larger) donations will be acceptable in most cases. Business groups may participate in the program as long as their participation is non­commercial. Donations may be made in person and by mail at all Forest Service offices. Forest Service offices are listed in the telephone directory under "U.S. Government, Department of Agriculture."


  • Recreation Passes

    A placeholder image

    Most national forests and grasslands are free of charge for your enjoyment, but fees may be charged or permits required for some activities and developed locations.

  • Forest Product Permits

    A placeholder image

    Before you take anything like Christmas Trees or firewood from the forest for personal use, you are required to purchase a permit.

  • Events and Commercial Filming

    A placeholder image

    If you are organizing a large event like an ultramarathon, hosting a large group of people, guiding people on a hunt, doing research or making a film or commercial, this is everything you’ll need to know to apply for a permit.

  • Recreation Residence

    A placeholder image

    The Forest Service Recreation Residence allows single-family cabins on the National Forest through a special use authorization. Learn what you need to know about owning a summer home in the woods.