Passes & Permits

  • National Recreation Passes

    This is an image of of the 2022 Interagency Annual Passes and shows a recreational vehicle under a night sky

    National passes cover entrance fees found a federal recreation areas such as National Parks and wildlife refuges. They also cover the use of facilities and services at many day use sites on Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands. There are several pass options to consider. To make the best choice on which pass to purchase, you should think about your recreation plans for the next year.

  • Regional Recreation Passes

    Adventure Passes

    Wherever you live in Southern California, you're just a short drive away from a spectacular wildlands adventure—recreating in the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres, and San Bernardino National Forests! If you plan to visit one or more of the four National Forests in Southern California, you may want to consider an Adventure Pass.

  • Recreation Permits

    A young boy hikes along the Pacific Crest Trail

    Recreation permits may be required when extra measures are needed to protect natural or cultural resources. Recreation permits can include: Wilderness Permits, Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) Area permits and Rifle Range permits. Please contact the nearest Forest Service office for information about permits that may be required in that area.

  • Forest Product Permits

    A stack of cut firewood.

    Many forests offer fuelwood, Christmas Tree and other forest product permits. Please contact the nearest Forest Service office for information about permits that may be required in that area, chainsaw use and seasonal restrictions.

  • Special Use Permits

    Film crew filming in a forested area.

    Special Use Permits grant certain rights or privileges to occupy and use a specific area. These permits contain specific terms and conditions that the permit holder must follow. They are issued to profit and non-profit organizations and include activities such as: Group activities that have 75 or more people, Outfitting and Guiding, Weddings, Commercial Photography and Bicycle Races. 

  • Campfire Permits

    An image of a campfire in a steel ring.

    Campfire Permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires or portable gas stoves outside of designated recreation sites. These are free and are available at all Forest Service, BLM, or CAL FIRE offices, or online (printer required). Remember to check for fire restrictions before you go!


Free Access Granted to Military Veterans and Gold Star Families

Gold Star shown against red and blue diagonal stripes

The Forest Service offers a fee waiver granting veterans and Gold Star families free access to all Forest Service operated day-use standard amenity recreation fee sites such as trailheads, picnic sites, visitor centers and most other day-use recreation sites.

View Feature

Kid-Friendly Locations on the National Forests in California

Every Kid Outdoors Graphic

Here is an assortment of family-friendly locations as well as information about the Every Kid Outdoors Pass for 4th Graders

View Feature