Forest Products Permits


Firewood Permit Information

Woodcutting permits allow you to cut firewood on National Forest land. Any wood removed/transported from national forest land to private property must have a fuelwood permit. Permits do not transfer between National Forests and are valid from January 1st  - December 31st

With your permit you will be given a map of areas where you can cut and gather. It is your responsibility to know where you are cutting, as well as, to know and follow the rules and regulations governing your permit.

Permits are $2 cord with a 10 cord minimum. Cash, card and check are accepeted. 

To receive your 2023 personal-use firewood permit, you can visit any of the Six Rivers National Forest district office, Monday through Friday, from 8AM to 4:30PM.

  • Gasquet Ranger District: (707) 457-3131
  • Orleans/Ukonom Ranger District: (530) 627-3291

  • Lower Trinity Ranger District: (530) 629-2118

  • Mad River Ranger District: (707) 574-6233.

Before you head out with your chainsaw, check current Project Activity Levels (PAL) and for more information on firewood cutting check out Firewood Cutting Permits on the Six Rivers National Forest (PDF)

 Six Rivers National Forest Firewood Cutting Maps

Christmas Trees

2022 Six Rivers NF - Christmas Tree Policy (.pdf)

Christmas tree permits are available from November 1st - December 25th. Permits can be purchased in-person at your local ranger station or online at

Christmas Tree Cutting Area Maps: 

Special Forest Products

Special Forest Products (SFP) are non-timber, renewable plant materials collected for personal or commercial use (e.g., Christmas trees, edible mushrooms, and floral greenery). An important principle of SFP harvest is the  maintenance of plant diversity in harvest areas.

Harvesting of SFPs is only allowed on National Forest System (NFS) lands within the Six Rivers National Forest. Harvesting is not allowed in administrative sites, wilderness areas, research natural areas, or special interest areas including botanical areas. In addition to these special management restrictions, no harvest is allowed in operating contract areas such as forest product sales, pre-commercial thinning areas, etc. NO harvest is allowed within 200 feet of any building, campground, state highway, river, stream, pond, lake, or other water body.

Below are informational handouts/maps for each district:


To obtain your mushroom permits call any Six Rivers National Forest ranger district office, Monday through Friday, from 8AM to 4:30PM, and a permit will be mailed to you, allow 3-7 business days to receive your permit. Permits are not available online or in the office at this time.:


Phone Number

Gasquet Ranger District

10600 Highway 199
Gasquet, CA  95543

(707) 457-3131

Orleans/Ukonom Ranger District

1 Ishi Pishi Road
Orleans, CA  95556 

(530) 627-3291

Lower Trinity Ranger District

580 Highway 96
Willow Creek, CA  95573

(530) 629-2118

Six Rivers National Forest, Supervisor’s Office

1330 Bayshore Way
Eureka, CA  95501

(707) 442-1721