Passes & Permits

Moon over Jubilee Lake

As stewards of your public lands, the Umatilla National Forest manages resources to meet sustanable resource management objectives. In order to manage these valuable resources and protect public health and safety, certain activities require permits and passes. Below are several activities where a permit or pass is needed.

Recreation Passes & Permits: In Washington and Oregon some national forest recreation sites require a day use fee.  This section includes information about where fees are charged and which passes may be used to cover these fees.

Forest Product Permits: Forest Products are forest resources not associated with traditional timber products but are used for personal, commercial, and scientific purposes. Examples include: firewood, Christmas trees, wildflowers, cones, poles, tree boughs, nuts and berries, mushrooms, ornamental cuttings, moss, and rocks.

Event/Commercial Permits: Permits may be required for certain special activities, such as large groups, educational activities, or commercial film-making and photography. In general, permits are necessary for any activity that requires the forest to be altered in any way or conducted for the purpose of generating income. 

Other Permits: A Special Use Authorization is a permit that grants rights or privileges of occupancy and use subject to specified terms and conditions on National Forest land. These permits cover activities, such as road use, construction of roads, power and water lines, research, mineral and timber processing, etc.