Search Data Catalog
Browse by Subject
Research Data Archive
US Forest Service
Attn: Dave Rugg
1 Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726–2366
- Live tree species basal area of the contiguous United States (2000-2009)
- Wilson, Barry T. ; Lister, Andrew J. ; Riemann, Rachel I. ; Griffith, Douglas M.
- Publication Year:
- How to Cite:
- These data were collected using funding from the U.S. Government and can be used without additional permissions or fees. If you use these data in a publication, presentation, or other research product please use the following citation:
Wilson, Barry Tyler; Lister, Andrew J.; Riemann, Rachel I.; Griffith, Douglas M. 2013. Live tree species basal area of the contiguous United States (2000-2009). Newtown Square, PA: USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2013-0013
- This data publication contains raster maps of live tree basal area for each tree species along with corresponding assessment data. An efficient approach for mapping multiple individual tree species over large spatial domains was used to develop these raster datasets. The method integrates vegetation phenology derived from MODIS imagery and raster data describing relevant environmental parameters with extensive field plot data of tree species basal area to create maps of tree species abundance and distribution at a 250-meter (m) pixel size for the contiguous United States. The approach uses the modeling techniques of k-nearest neighbors and canonical correspondence analysis, where model predictions are calculated using a weighting of nearest neighbors based on proximity in a feature space derived from the model. The approach also utilizes a stratification derived from the 2001 National Land-Cover Database tree canopy cover layer.
- biota; imageryBaseMapsEarthCover; planningCadastre; Inventory, Monitoring, & Analysis; Assessments; Natural Resource Management & Use; Forest management; basal area; tree species; species range; raster map; species abundance; multiple species; plants; CONUS; United States
- Data Access:
- View metadata (HTML)
- View file index (HTML) which lists all files in this data publication and short description of their contents
- FIRST: Download data publication summary files (76.90 KB - compressed format, ZIP) which includes metadata, file index, and any other supplemental files provided by the author
- SECOND: Download data files (compressed format, ZIP)
Need information about Using our Formats?