Explore the Superior National Forest
2,000 miles of trails designed for hiking, hunting, riding and more. The Forest offers an expansive variety of ways to get outside and enjoy the outdoors. It’s All Yours!
- Camp on one of the many developed "fee", or backcountry campsites, most of which are on a body of water.
- Boat, fish, swim or picnic at one of lake accesses, fishing piers, swimming beaches, or picnic areas.
- Drive on one of three national scenic byways.
- Explore the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, with over 800,000 acres it is the largest designated wilderness in the eastern.
Get the most out of your visit by being prepared. Remember you are responsible for your own safety.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Recreation Conditions Report
|Area Name||Status||Area Conditions|
|Birch Lake Campground & Backcountry Sites||Open|
|Border Route Trail||None||Parts of the Border Route Trail near Clearwater Lake were damaged in a wind event on October 14, 2021. Hiking in that area is not recommended until crews can clear fallen trees and other damage.|
|Cadotte Lake Campground||Open|
|Crescent Lake Campground & Backcountry Sites||Open|
|Devil Track Lake Campground||Open|
|Divide Lake Campground & Backcountry Sites||Open|
|East Bearskin Lake Campground||Open|
|Echo Lake Campground & Backcountry Sites||Open|
|Fall Lake Campground||Open|
|Fenske Lake Campground||Open|
|Flour Lake Campground||Open||Opens May 14, 2022.|
|Gunflint Ranger District||Open|
|Iron Lake Campground||Open|
|Kawishiwi Ranger District||Open|
|Kimball Lake Campground||Open|
|LaCroix Ranger District||Open|
|LaCroix Winter Recreation Trails||Open||See individual trail webpages for links to current conditions.|
|Lake Jeanette Campground & Backcountry Sites||Open|
|Laurentian Ranger District||Open||Open, except indefinite closure of part of the Sturgeon River Trail. See Alerts for more details.|
|Little Isabella River Campground||Open|
|McDougal Lake Campground||Closed||Closed for site rehabilitation.|
|McDougal Lake Trail||Closed||Closed for site rehabilitation.|
|Ninemile Lake Campground||Open|
|Pfeiffer Lake Campground & Backcountry Sites||Open|
|Sawbill Lake Campground||Open|
|South Kawishiwi River Campground||Open|
|Sturgeon River Trail||None||Part of the Sturgeon River Trail is closed indefinitely. See the Alert for more details.
In the winter, visit www.skinnyski.com for current ski trail conditions.
|Temperance River Campground||Open|
|Tofte Ranger District||Open|
|Trail's End Campground||None||
Trails End Campground sites 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33 are closed. Seagull Lake Nature Trail and the Seagull Lake Canoe Launch are also closed. Boaters and canoeists can launch at Blankenburg Landing.
|Two Island Lake Campground||Open|
|Whiteface Reservoir Campground||Open|
Alerts & Warnings
- Flooding impacts BWCAW, Roads and Recreation Across Forest; ATV Trails Closed
- Greenwood Closure Area Updated May 10, 2022
- Closure: Some Trails End Campsites and Nearby Rec Areas
- Border Route Trail Tornado and Current Conditions
- Spring road wt restrictions: St Louis, Lake, Cook County, see Current Conditions
- Sturgeon River Trail Partial Closure