There are several things to keep in mind when considering hunting in the Angeles National Forest:
1. Hunting is permitted during hunting seasons designated by the California State Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW).
Zone D-11 - General Deer Hunting Information
2. A valid California hunting license is required. Licenses are available Online, at any CDFW License Sales Office or License Agent.
3. Hunting is allowed in the Angeles National Forest, but not everywhere within the forest. However, some areas of the forest are closed to some or all all users or specific forms of transportation. Be sure to check the Angeles National Forest's Alerts & Conditions webpage and Recreation webpage for updated information. In addition, hunting is not allowed in the San Dimas Experimental Forest.
4. Hunting is not permitted in areas where the discharge of firearms is prohibited by County Ordinance, California State law, or Federal regulations.
5. Hunters must follow all laws, including no hunting within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area.
6. No hunting is allowed across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of weapon discharge.
7. No hunting is allowed into or within any cave.
8. In addition, the following are prohibited to the extent Federal or State law is violated:
(a) Hunting, trapping, fishing, catching, molesting, killing or having in possession any kind of wild animal, bird, or fish, or taking the eggs of any such bird.
(b) Possessing a firearm or other implement designed to discharge a missile capable of destroying animal life.
(c) Possessing equipment which could be used for hunting, fishing, or trapping.
9. Specific laws associated with hunting can be found on the National Archives website. Look for 36 CFR 261.10(d) and 36 CFR 261.8.
Alerts & Warnings
- NEW! Office Updates - Need Info or Passes?
- UPDATED! Forest Service Road Closures
- Additional Damage to Roads/Trails Due to Tropical Storm Hilary
- Fire Danger: HIGH
- Temporary Closures (Bobcat Fire)
- Advisory: Safety by Waterfalls / Streams / Creeks
- Driving to the Forest?
- Advisory: Hiking at High Elevations
- Planning to Camp? (Stay Limits & Dispersed Camping Restrictions)