OCALA AND OSCEOLA NF CLOSED FOR HURRICANE IDALIA PREPARATION
Area(s): Ocala National Forest, Alexander Springs Recreation Area, Alexander Run, Alexander Springs Campground, Timucuan Trail, Alexander Springs Wilderness, Beakman Lake, Big Bass Campground, Big Scrub Campground, Billie Bay Wilderness, Buck Lake Group Camp, Chain of Lakes, Clearwater Lake Recreation Area, Clearwater Lake Campground, Clearwater Lake Nature Trail, Davenport Landing, Davenport Landing Trail, Doe Lake Recreation Area, Doe Lake Boat Ramp, Farles Prairie Recreation Area, Florida Black Bear Scenic Byway, Fore Lake Recreation Area, Fore Lake Campground, Fore Lake Pier and Launch, Grasshopper Lake, Halfmoon Lake, Hopkins Prairie Campground, Juniper Prairie Wilderness, Yearling Trail, Juniper Springs Recreation Area, Juniper Run, Juniper Wayside, Juniper Springs Nature Trail, LAM Equestrian Trail, Lake Bryant, Lake Catherine, Lake Charles, Lake Delancy East Campground, Lake Delancy West OHV Campground, Lake Dorr Recreation Area, Lake Dorr Boat Ramp, Lake Dorr Cabin, Lake Eaton Campground, Lake Eaton Boat Ramp and Pier, Lake Eaton Sinkhole Trailhead, Lake Eaton Trail, Lake George Ranger District Office, Lake Jumper, Lake Lou, Lake Mary, Lake Shore Group Campground, Little Lake George Wilderness, Mill Dam Recreation Area, Mill Dam Boat Ramp, Ocala Centennial OHV Trail System, Centennial OHV Trailhead, Ocala North OHV Trail System, Delancy Loops OHV Trail, Delancy West OHV Trailhead, Hog Valley OHV Trail, Longleaf OHV Trail, Motorcycle Loop OHV Trailhead, Pipeline OHV Trailhead, Rodman OHV Trailhead, Salt Springs OHV Connector Trail, Tobacco Patch Trail, Ocala One Hundred Mile Horse Trail, Ocala Shooting Range, Paisley Woods Bicycle Trail, Salt Springs Recreation Area, Bear Swamp Trail, Salt Springs Marina, Salt Springs Run, Salt Springs Wildlife Observation Trail, Seminole Ranger District Office, Silver Glen Springs Recreation Area, Lake George Trail, Silver Glen Run, Spring Boils Trail, St. Francis Trailhead, Sweetwater Cabin, Swim Pond Equestrian Trailhead, Volusia Wharf Boat Ramp, Wandering Wiregrass OHV Trail and Trailhead, Wildcat Lake, Osceola National Forest, Big Camp Hunt Camp, Big Gum Swamp Wilderness, Cobb Hunt Camp, East Tower Hunt Camp, Fanny Bay Trail, Hog Pen Landing, Lewis D. Whitaker Osceola Shooting Range, Mt. Carrie Wayside, Nice Wander Trail, Ocean Pond Campground, Olustee Battlefield Trail, Olustee Beach, Trampled Track Trail, Olustee Depot Visitor Center, Osceola Ranger Station, Osceola Wildlife Management Area, Sandhill Hunt Camp, Seventeen Mile Hunt Camp, The Group Landing, Watertown Lake, West Tower Equestrian Trails, West Tower Hunt Camp, Wiggins Hunt Camp
Date(s): Aug 28, 2023
Contact(s): Nikki Maxwell
Hurricane Idalia is predicted to make landfall this week, impacting many National Forests in Florida operations and services. In preparation for destructive weather conditions and necessary public safety precautions, please note the following details for each forest:
APALACHICOLA NATIONAL FOREST:
• No current changes to Apalachicola National Forest (Apalachicola and Wakulla Districts) offices business hours and public services (subject to change as emergency situation develops).
OCALA NATIONAL FOREST:
• Effective Monday, Aug. 28 at 4 p.m. – All Ocala National Forest (Ocala and Lake George Districts) offices are closed to the Public (until further notice).
• Effective Tuesday, Aug. 29 – All Ocala National Forest offices, recreation sites (including day-use and overnight), and concession services will be closed to the public (until further notice).
• Effective Tuesday, Aug. 29 – All Ocala National Forest water recreation activities, potable water resources, and electrical power resources are closed to the public (until further notice).
OSCEOLA NATIONAL FOREST:
• Effective Monday, Aug. 28 at 4 p.m. through Friday, Sept. 1 – The Osceola National Forest District office is closed to the Public.
• Effective Tuesday, Aug. 29 at noon – All Osceola National Forest recreation sites (day-use and overnight), and concession services will be closed to the public (until further notice).
• Effective Tuesday, Aug. 29 – All Osceola National Forest water recreation activities, potable water resources, and electrical power resources are closed to the public (until further notice).
SAFETY ON FORESTS:
** Use extra caution on forest roads during and after this hurricane. Avoid traveling on through National Forests affected by this storm, until each area is declared “all clear” by USFS personnel.
** Destructive weather events create many safety hazards, including wind projectiles, weakened tree-roots/timber, downed trees, dangerous debris on roads/trails, flash floods, contaminated water environments, and wildlife displacement.