Event/Commercial Permits

General Information

A Special Use Authorization is a permit, term permit, temporary permit, lease, or easement or other written instrument that grants rights or privileges of occupancy and use subject to specified terms and conditions on National Forest land. The occupancy and use may be for a one-day event such as a wedding or bicycle race, or for up to 40 years such as a ski resort permit. Our policy is to manage special uses on National Forest lands in a manner that protects natural resource values, public health and safety, and is consistent with the Forest land and resource management plans.

Before a special use proposal is approved, the agency must determine that the proposed use complies with the Forest's land and resource management plan; that National Environmental Policy Act requirements are met; there is a demonstrated need for the activity on National Forest System lands; and the use is appropriate on National Forest System lands.None of the existing special use authorities provide for permanent use of National Forest System lands.

Recreation special uses determination chart


Specific Permit Information

Recreation Event Special Use Permits

Outfitter and Guide Special Use Permits

NOTE: Proponents submitting a new outfitter or guide proposal must submit a complete application form during two annual open season windows: October 1 to December 1 (for summer activities) and February 1 to April 1 (for winter activities) to the district special use permit administrator. New proposals will not be accepted outside the open season windows.

Commercial Filming Special Use Permits

Commercial Non-Recreational (Lands) Special Use Permits

Recreation Residences Special Use Permits


General Application Form (SF 299)

Recreation Event Form