Alerts & Notices

Fire Restrictions


Campfire Photo

Forest Supervisor Jason Kuiken signed Forest Order 16-2020-08, which prohibits campfires outside of open, developed forest recreation sites; limits areas where smoking is allowed; and limits the types of cookstoves - only liquid/gel stoves with an on/off switch are permitted. The fire restrictions are in effect for all elevations on the forest, including wilderness areas, and remain in effect through Nov. 30,  2020.

These fire restrictions are the same for all hazard zones, which is not usual.  This forest order is part of a regional strategy for all national forests.  Please familiarize yourself with what these restrictions mean, including:

  • Any equipment like propane stoves or lamps, with an on/off switch, are permissible at all campsites
  • Campfires are allowed in designated campgrounds ONLY
  • Campfires are NOT allowed in any dispersed campsites. Only propane equipment with an on/off switch

Campfire Restrictions Information

What is prohibited during fire restrictions?

  • Campfires- Building campfires, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stovefire, briquette  barbecues outside of developed recreation site is prohibited. 
  • Smoking- smoking is prohibited, except wihtin an enclosed vehicle or building, within a developed recreation site, or areas with atleast a 3x3 clearance of all flamable material. 
  • Welding- operating an acetylene or other torch with an open flame is prohibited.
  • Use of Explosives- Using an explosive is prohibited.

What can I use when the forest is under fire restrictions?

A person with a valid California Campfire Permit may use a portable stove or lantern using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid within the hazard areas. Campfire permits can be obtained for free at any Forest Service office or online at

Woodcutting Information

Is woodcutting permitted during fire restrictions?

Woodcutting is also impacted by dry weather and conditions. Woodcutting is permissible with a valid permit on a day-to-day basis, depending on the daily fire danger rating, which can be obtained by calling (209) 532-5601 for recorded woodcutting information. Fuelwood permits can be obtained at any Forest Service from April 15- December 15. All Fuelwood permits expire December 15. Read more...

Residential Burn Permit Information

Can I burn piles at home?

Homeowners should always check with their local CAL FIRE station and local air quality management agency before burning. All burning must take place on permissive burn days. Click here to view CAL FIRE burn permit information. Homeowners may also call in to obtain information on burn days by calling:

  • Calaveras County—(209) 754-6600
  • Tuolumne County—(209) 533-5598
  • San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties—(877) 429-2876

What can I burn with a burn permit?

With a valid burn permit on a permissive burn day, you can burn the following items... (information provided by CAL FIRE)

Where can I obtain a Burn Permit?

Burn permits can be obtained at any CAL FIRE station or Forest Office located in Groveland, Hathaway Pines, Pinecrest and Mi Wuk Village. Permits are not available at the Sonora Forest Service Office.