George Washington & Jefferson National Forests
Explore Your Forests
From lush forests and cold mountain streams to unique mountaintop balds, over 1.8 milllion acres of Appalachian forests in Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky are yours to explore.
Carry a map with you when you head out into the woods. Explore recreation opportunities on our interactive visitor map and download a map to carry on your phone.
Some activities require a permit or recreation pass. Check out your annual recreation pass options and learn about permits for recreation activities including OHV/ATV permits for special trail systems and forest products like firewood.
The Forest Service manages the national forests for multiple uses. We aim to protect, restore, and enhance forest ecosystems.
USFS Reopens North Fork of Pound Boat Launch in Clinch Ranger District
Release Date: Aug 5, 2022
Storm hazards close road and recreation sites on Clinch Ranger District
Release Date: Jul 29, 2022
Joint Chiefs’ Landscape Restoration Partnership funds awarded
We are working to restore forest health. The Eastern Divide Restoration Project will be funded over the next 3 years through the Joint Chiefs’ Landscape Restoration Partnership.
Chesapeake Forest Restoration
The Appalachian mountains host the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Forest restoration supports healthy communities and ecosystems throughout the watershed.
Implementing the North Shenandoah Mountain Restoration Project
We are working to improve forest health in the North Shenandoah Mountain project area. See 2021 accomplishments funded by the Joint Chief's Landscape Restoration Partnership.
Alerts & Warnings
- Some recreation sites in SW Virginia temporarily closed due to storm impacts
- North Fork of Pound Boat Launch reopens
- Saint Mary’s River Trail will be intermittently closed in August and September
- Current Lake Moomaw Information
- Effective July 1, 2022, Virginia law permits hunting on Sunday
- Grindstone camping limited in 2022
- Temp Closure: Rocky Run ATV trail, Second Mountain, Long Run Road
- Some roads and trails closed in Rockingham County VA and Pendleton County WV