Passes & Permits

Not sure if you need a pass or permit? Read below or click on one of the links for more information on the types of passes and permits available on the Allegheny. 

What Pass/Permit Do You Need?  

Graphic: Image of bighorn sheep crossing a river on front of recreation pass.

Recreation Passes

Find out more about available day, annual and ohv trail passes and permits - how much they are, who can purchase them and where to buy them.

Truck with cut trees in truckbed

Forest Product Permits

Find out more about obtaining a fuelwood/firewood permit. 

Event/Commercial Permits: Right of Way


Special Use Program overview and application forms for water transmission, road and utility right-of-ways, research, etc. 
Other Permits: Goshawk - option 2

Other Permits

Allegheny NF Falconry Policy information.

Do You Need a Pass or Permit?

When DON'T You Need A Permit?

  • When you are gathering edible material (morels, etc.) for your own consumption.
  • When you are camping in a dispersed area.
  • When you are at a site that doesn't require a Recreation Enhancement Act Fee.
  • When you are building a campfire on National Forest System lands you can collect a reasonable quantity of wood for the campfire without a permit.


When DO You Need A Permit?

  • For some recreation activities:
    • At most day use sites such as trailheads, picnic areas and river access sites
    • Reserving a campsite
    • When riding an ATV, OHV or Motorcycle on National Forest System motorized trails
  • For collecting fuelwood.
  • Special Use Permits are required for commercial and non-commercial use of NFS lands, including:
    • Easements for electrical and utility lines,
    • roads to access private property bound by National Forest lands,
    • oil and gas pipelines, wells or holding tanks, etc.
    • Minerals