Passes & Permits

Post and Pole Permits

Many people call about getting teepee poles, fence rails and miscellaneous small wood from the forest. These are classified as small timber sales and require a permit from the District's small sale administrator.


The BDNF will continue issuing free-use firewood through the end of the calendar year due to the COVID-19 pandemic effects on our public, however a free use permit is still required. For more information concerning the harvest of firewood on the Forest, click here.    


Collecting rocks, say for backyard landscaping, requires a permit. Please contact us for more information. If you are interested in rockhounding, visit the Rocks & Minerals page of our Recreation section. 

Other Forest Products

Berries, Mushrooms, Seedlings

[image] illustration of a Christmas tree.

Christmas Trees can now be purchased online at


National Pass and Permit Information