Forest Products Permits

A forest produces a variety of products which people can harvest, collect, and use for a variety of things. Depending on the forest product, and its use - gathering these items may require a permit.  

Fuelwood (Firewood) Permits:

Personal Use Fuelwood (Firewood) Permits: As of July 1, 2023, there is a fee off $20 ($5 a cord/4 cord). Firewood permits expire a year from date issued. You must carry your permit with you when gathering personal use firewood and other forest products.

To obtain a permit or for additional information please visit or contact one of our offices listed below.

  • Walker: 218.547.1044
  • Deer River: 218.246.2123
  • Blackduck: 218.835.4291


Balsam Boughs:

Balsam boughs are a very popular product for crafters on the Forest. Balsam boughs make excellent wreaths for your front door!  Permits for harvesting Balsam boughs are available at all Chippewa National Forest offices. $50 minimum permit for 2 tons. Limit 1 permit per company per year. 

Christmas Trees:

Christmas tree permit hanging on a tree.

  • Christmas tree permits can be purchased at
  • It is important to carefully read the overview and need-to-know information prior to purchasing the permit.  Visitors will also need to set up or login to a account to complete the transaction.
  • Chippewa National Forest Christmas tree permits can also be obtained through the mail by sending your request and payment made to USDA Forest Service ($5.00 per permit) to: Chippewa National Forest, Attn: Christmas Permit, 201 Minnesota Ave. East, Walker, MN 56484

Christmas tree cutting on the Chippewa National Forest has been a holiday tradition for many years. Many families begin their holiday season by cutting their own Christmas tree from the national forests. All you need is a $5.00 permit, sharp axe, thermos of cocoa and a little patience. Away from the holiday rush, families discover the peace of the forest surrounded by winter white. Christmas Tree Permits can now be purchased at

Guidelines and Restrictions for collecting your Christmas Trees

  • One permit is required for each Christmas Tree. Permits are $5.00 each.

  • Per the Every Kid Outdoors Program, all 4th graders are entitled to one FREE Christmas tree permit with a valid EKO pass redeemed at or by calling our offices.

  • Christmas Tree permits must be validated and displayed when harvesting your tree.
  • Cut your Christmas Tree only on National Forest lands. National Forest maps are available for sale.
  • Respect road and area closures.

Please do not cut trees:

  • On private property.
  • Within 150 feet of state highways, picnic areas, campgrounds and other developed areas.
  • Within 300 feet of streams and bodies of water.
  • Within young tree plantations (Nursery grown seedlings planted for future forests).

Safety Information

  • Always let someone know where you plan to cut.
  • Bring additional warm clothing, a container of hot liquid, water, lunch or a few snacks as it always takes longer than expected.
  • Carry a flashlight, chains, first aid kit, a hatchet or axe, good warm gloves, boots, and rope to tie your tree down.
  • When you bring your tree home, immediately cut a 1 inch diagonal piece off the bottom. Place your tree in a container with a mixture of one part sugar to sixteen parts water. Keeping the container filled will help prolong the freshness of your tree.
  • Locate your tree so it will not block exits, away from heat.
  • Never use lighted candles on a tree or near any evergreen decorations. Use decorations which are noncombustible, such as glass, or which are flame-retardant. Keep natural evergreens and polystyrene decorations away from candles, fireplaces, and other open flames.

Maple Taps (spiles):

  • Example of a maple tap on a treeMinimum permit: $20 for 80 taps @$0.25/tap
  • Limit 1 permit per person per year
  • Chippewa National Forest land only
  • Permits can be obtained at any Chippewa National Forest office