About the Forest
The Cleveland National Forest is the southern-most National Forest in California. Consisting of 460,000 acres (720 sq mi) (1,900 km), the forest offers a wide variety of terrains and recreational opportunities.
Until the arrival in San Diego of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, the lands now within the Cleveland National Forest were known only to the desert and coastal Indian tribes who used them. The Kumeyaay, Luiseños, Cahuilla and Cupeño found a good living on the abundant acorns and game. Many of our trails today follow those routes first used by these early dwellers.
Created on July 1, 1908 with the consolidation of the Trabuco Canyon National Reserve and San Jacinto National Reserve by President Theodore Roosevelt and named after former president Grover Cleveland. The Forest is divided into the Trabuco, Palomar and Descanso Ranger Districts and located in the counties of Riverside, Orange and San Diego.
Penny Pines Program
Penny Pines provides a helping hand for lands that have lost their trees due to fire, disease or insect infestation. It is a conservation program in which everyone can participate.
Interesting facts about the Cleveland National Forest
- Highest point of land on the Trabuco Ranger District?
- Number of endangered plant and animal species found on the Forest?