Parents & Teachers
The Georgia Mountains Children’s Forest Network creates opportunities for diverse young Georgians to experience and explore the national forest in their backyard. By enhancing and expanding successful programs offered through strong Forest Service partnerships, this Children’s Forest Network cultivates an understanding of public lands and fosters participation in the care of these lands.
Despite having 875,000 acres of national forest lands in Georgia within 2 hours of major metropolitan areas, many North Georgia youth have little awareness of these places. Urban and rural youth alike often lack opportunities to participate in life-changing experiences in the outdoors.
The network focuses on addressing the cultural and financial obstacles that exist for underrepresented youth in making a connection to these places that belong to them.
- Inclusion and collaboration
- Getting youth into the outdoors
- Developing 21st Century conservationists
The Children’s Forest is an inclusive effort that connects communities, land managers, and non-profits to provide a wide-range of innovative programs to engage North Georgians in fostering healthy, sustainable connections to the outdoors. The network shows how innovation through collaboration can increase the effectiveness of these programs.
- Forest for Every Classroom Workshop Series for educators
- NextGen Forest Ambassador program for teens
- Classroom and Career Visits, including Every Kid Outdoors Programs
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy
- Georgia Appalachian Trail Club
- Georgia Mountain Research and Education Center
- Greening Youth Foundation
- U.S. Forest Service - Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests
Contact us: email@example.com
To recieve opportunity posts and program release emails:
Don't worry, we won't swamp your inbox, we're humans too.
Alerts & Warnings
- Helton Creek Falls and Trail Temporarily Closed
- Coleman River Rd (FSR #54) Closure
- CAUTION Waterfall Dangers
- Road Closures on the Chattooga River Ranger District
- CALL BEFORE YOU HAUL - ATV and OHV
- Holcomb Creek Falls trail closure
- Panther Creek Trail Temporary Hiker Restrictions
- Don't Move Firewood!